please help,whats it worth

mxschooly

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
hi, im new to this forum, can anyone help, ive inherited a vincent hrd black shadow, 1952 (i think) in good condition, rides all ok, etc,

i need to know whats it worth so i can insure it, does anyone have a idea?

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'd insure it for £25k if it is clean and tidy but note that if you had to buy another one to replace it if it was stolen or burnt then you might have to find £30 -35k. The problem is that there is a mystique about the Shadows which after 60 years is often not justified. When new they were special with some engine internals polished and parts specially selected to be a good fit. How many modern Shadows have that attention still being paid to their internals? :)

timetraveller

VOC Member
ERRRR!!!!, yes I know it is a public site but what is private about what I wrote? If I got the figures very wrong then I am sorry but it seems to me that there is nothing very secret about the current asking prices for Vins. Apart from the few well publicised cases it is difficult to find out what people actually get and where I do know the figures they are more in line with the lower values than the higher. Sorry if I am causing conniptions. :)

deejay499

VOC Member
I understand where you are coming from, but to my mind, the less we talk publicly about values, the safer and better.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Dave, I think you are being a bit paramoid, but maybe it's just living in different parts of the world. Values, particularly auction results are splashed all over the net. Anyone with access and the remotest of effort can find them.

Vegas last weekend
All US$ plus 6% buyers premium

50 Rapide high bid 49K no sale
54 Firefly 7.7K good sale
37 TTR 55K good sale
51 Red Rapide 57K good sale
50 Grey Flash Rep 25K good sale
54 Black Shadow 75K good sale
52 Black Shadow high bid 73K no sale
54 Black Shadow high bid 80K no sale
50 Rapide. No bid No sale

Robert

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
what it's worth

As i have to log-in to get to these messages, i don't see this as a public site. or are you clever enough to dodge the safeguard? The machines values are only as high as the next fool will pay. Roy.

deejay499

VOC Member
Robert. Fair enough, but I still have the public asking what is it worth at times and my usual answer is the amount of time ,effort and money to keep it on the road and the enjoyment I get out of riding it, thus avoiding the actual value.
MX. Hope you enjoy the Vincent and hope to see you on it sometime - why not join the club and come to some of the meets etc, and the local section is always a good place for information and help.
Cheers, DJ

Last edited:

bmetcalf

VOC Member
As a '50 Rapide owner, should I be paranoid that no one wants 'em anymore? There is a definite pattern there.

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy Bruce,

A bleak thought for those of fragile self esteem...me thinks maybe that's why Somer roped me into buying this 50 Shadow before all was lost. Hrrrmph!