Please Excuse My Ignorance

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A local English village vicar was asked to give opinions on Heaven and Hell in light of a 12 month secondment to Brussels. He replied: "Heaven is where the police are English, the mechanics German, the chefs French, the lovers Italian and everything is organised by the Swiss. Hell is where the police are German, the mechanics French, the lovers Swiss, the chefs English and everything is run by the Italians."

But we're all Europeans now.

H

vince998

VOC Member
I get a lot of stick at work (i work for a German Company) about the english cuisine.
I love steak and kindney pud, full cooked english, pies & pasties and sunday roasts, but i always get the same question: Where in this world can you find an "English" Restaurant?
Now, i´ve travelled a lot in India, and the cuisine is fantastic, but the best curry´s (and indian side dishes) are to be found in the U.K. But where to recommend for an "English" restaurant?(Except fish/chip/pie shops).
I´m stumped!!!?

Howard

VOC Member
I get a lot of stick at work (i work for a German Company) about the english cuisine.
I love steak and kindney pud, full cooked english, pies & pasties and sunday roasts, but i always get the same question: Where in this world can you find an "English" Restaurant?
Now, i´ve travelled a lot in India, and the cuisine is fantastic, but the best curry´s (and indian side dishes) are to be found in the U.K. But where to recommend for an "English" restaurant?(Except fish/chip/pie shops).
I´m stumped!!!?

Strangely Vince, I don't know of a German restaurant here. If we want German food, we have to go to the German Christmas market for Bratwurst.

H

vince998

VOC Member
Come to Germany (and Bavaria) Howard.
I´d estimate a good 50% of restaurants sell and advertise local German cuisine (in bavaria, you can´t get away from "Schweinshaxe and knodel :), plus you have a schnell imbis on every corner selling bratwurst etc.
Strangely Vince, I don't know of a German restaurant here. If we want German food, we have to go to the German Christmas market for Bratwurst.

H

nobby

VOC Member
My first ever B&B in England was owned by Germans and guess what I got for breakfast? Full English with German bratwurst! And I never mentioned the war...

Howard

VOC Member
We have restraunts in every town selling all British sourced ingredients (or so we're told) - they're called McDonalds, KFC..........

H :(

b'knighted

VOC Member
Howard quotes some American restaurants but I must admit that we don't seem to have any British or English restaurants. Even the traditional roadside cafes seem to have been replaced by franchised "services". We do, however have the pre- restaurant alternative of British pubs, many of which offer brilliant "home cooked" traditional fare. Certainly the West Country is full of them and I would invite anyone wanting a good British meal to come to one of our Sunday section meetings. As I write this it occurs to me that good British food is also available at the Wednesday meets.