Piston clearance on old school pistons

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone remember what amount of clearance you were running on old school race pistons...........A mate of mine is rebuilding a G 45 Matchy racer..........Not sure why he wants to run the old type pistons other than he is too stingy to buy something more up to date..........these engines had a 66 mm bore size, and I believe the pistons have a split skirt as well.......... Personally I would leave them on the shelf.........any idea's..........Cheers........ Greg. PS: This engine will most likely be running on methanol fuel.........

timetraveller

VOC Member
From memory about two thou per inch of bore diameter on the for and aft faces. More at the sides as the pistons should be 'cammed'.

vibrac

VOC Member
G45! I once bought one for £120 but thats a long story I may have told before
It was £80 part exchange for my G3L, but mum was told it was a 'Racing' bike so I had to settle for a 7R at £50 (another 350!)
my mate got the G45 a good year on the road for both of us (not for racing) rave of the coffee bars
I still say the best looking bike I have ever seen.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Vibrac, didn't you race one or am I confusing with your 7R?
Roger Ashby raced a 7R and I think also ran a G45 a few times in Vintage race meetings years ago. He also had a go at the challenging Manx GP Classic race with the G45. I think the I - o- M circuit won.