ET: Engine (Twin) Piston Choice

Black Flash

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I would always go for 8:1 pistons to boost economy and get some extra umph.
Iirc during the period the bikes were built they had to run on low octane pool petrol. If they had better fuel I am sure they would have been built with a higher cr in the first place.
If you are unhappy you can always fit decompression plates during the winter. It also gives you the chance to escape for a few hours for a couple of days,iyswim.

deejay499

VOC Member
I rode the Ulver’s outfit with 6 something compression and it was delightful. So easy to start, easy running in town but still went OK.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Funny the Bike with 36mm Dellortos, Starts OK, Because it has proper Chokes, But I don't have the Mk2 Amal
chokes sorted yet, For fast idle. Cheers Bill.

stu spalding

VOC Member
I have cracked three 7.2/1 comp pistons and I am convinced that obtaining the lower comp ratio by machining material from the crown on an 8/1 weakens it. I now run 8/1 pistons with compression plates to get the ratio down to 7.2/1. Cheers, Stu.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I have an 8 to one Rapide that works well. It's an extremely easy starter.
In a pinch it has run it on regular fuel without any problems. I normally run Chevron Supreme ethanol free , however when out touring sometimes regular fuel is the only type available.
55,000 miles , low e pistons , originally set up with 3.5 thou clearance .
Honda Chrome rings and no ridge, bore wear negligible.
Glen

Last edited: