T: Fuel Tank Pin Striping Layout for Series ‘B’ Fuel Tank

Jim Bush

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have searched the files and am unable to come up with any information on painting and pin striping for the Series B HRD fuel tank.

What I am looking for is things like
- width of gold stripes
- shape of top stripe, with dimensional references if possible
- shape of D stripes around the HRD decals - size, dimensions and location
- dimensional location of decal on top

From what I have seen on bikes, there is a wide variation and some quite crooked, despite claimed to be done by "expert".
It would good to have some reference information at the outset.

I am planning to do the striping in gold leaf.

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Jim, just a word of caution, the offset position of the fuel filler cap will tend to "throw the eye". Been there, done that, got the T shirt. Cheers, Stu.

vibrac

VOC Member
If you need to sort an HRD tank panel (not the Vincent one) that was covered in mph around June 1974 suprised its not on file somewhere

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator

Albervin

VOC Member
Has anyone some ideas on the best paint to use for the striping? I am about to have my tank repainted. Do I match the "gold" of the transfers for the striping or go for GOLD? The problem is that gold comes in many shades. I have a collection of gold watches (solid not plated) and anything from Rose gold to Silver gold is out there . I do not intend to use gold leaf.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I have to credit Rick Voshell for giving me a tube of B-3 Brilliant Rich Gold bronze powder from American Bronze Powder Co. in New Jersey. This was back in the 70's and was what Rick used on his Vins. They have changed their name and been acquired by a multinational since then, so I am not even sure this product is available now. I mixed it with Imron clear, masked the non stripe areas and used an airbrush to spray the stripes over the black Imron base, then clearcoated the tank with more clear Imron. My brother used the same process and powder on the tank on my current Rapide in the 80's and it still looks good. It may have been in KTB that we were advised not to use this rather than gold leaf since it gets tarnished with age, but I think the stripes on my dusty tank still look pretty good after 30 years.

IMG_1146.JPG
IMG_1148.JPG
IMG_1149.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 4