Pilot Clutch Plate stops working

Dave Hinton

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
1947 Rapide has had clutch working for years. Whole engine was rebuilt by Don Alexander (R.I.P.) and has done about 5000 miles since.
Problem now is the handlebar lever goes slack. This has happened over the last 2 months.
I have taken the clutch apart and rebuilt it (because of the problem) and made sure the drum is fastened securely. Everything has been checked and adjusted (both sides) so the operating arm, clutch rod, ball bearings, cable and set up is all working fine. Then off for a couple of mile ride approx and the handlebar
lever goes slack which eventually stops the pilot clutch working. This has now been done some 10 times with full adjustment after each slack off but ends up the same each time. The cable is fine the adjustments are fine, I am completely flummoxed as to what's causing the problem. I have tried pulling the handlebar lever without the engine running for some considerable time and it has no effect which tends to suggest its maybe a heat problem but I have not located any.

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello Dave, Sounds like the pushrod is wearing ? Most bikes have 2 pushrods G96/1 with a ball bearing in between, I have found that can break up and use a 1/4" 1/4" roller in it's place, Or it could be wear on the bottom of G91/1 leaver inside the Kick start cover, Good Luck, Bill.

stumpy lord

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hello Dave, Sounds like the pushrod is wearing ? Most bikes have 2 pushrods G96/1 with a ball bearing in between, I have found that can break up and use a 1/4" 1/4" roller in it's place, Or it could be wear on the bottom of G91/1 leaver inside the Kick start cover, Good Luck, Bill.
Hi dave,
sounds more like your push rod has worn through the hard surface of your G91 and is now rapidly cutting its way through the G91.
Had this happen to me up in SwaleDale on the outfit, it made for an interesting drive back home with virtually no clutch. Norm