Misc: Everything Else Pillion Footrest

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a droopy pillion footrest, I would like to bring it back to the horizontal for the comfort of my passenger, it seems the simplest way is run a small bead of along along the footrest peg itself, and then dress the weld back to the desired position, my only problem is I don't know what rod to use, I have FINCORD M E6013, I have no idea whether it will work, works fine on mild steel, but I would imagine the footrest is cast or forged, it is an original part, so not cast bronze or anything modern, any welders out there that could advise me please.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
If you don't want to weld, What about a pair of Grub Screws,
That way you can adjust to exact what you want ?.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Good suggestion Bill, but very small point of contact, even if I do 2 x grub screws, I am happy to weld, as long as I am welding two pieces of metal that like each other, and they both like my welding rods, once welded it will be simple job to dress the weld back to suit.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Pretty sure those are cast steel. I have hot and cold bent them back to shape, so welding with 6013 should be fine. I would do it with the mig which uses a 70 series wire feed. Now that I think of it I had a hanger that was sawn in half at some point and shortened. I just took some mild steel bar and welded it in between and dressed it back to shape. Mind you that was 35 years ago and about 120,000 miles so not really a proven fix yet :)

bmetcalf

VOC Member
When I worked for a dairy equipment manufacturer, I got the shop to TIG on a blob of stainless steel to my K/S footpiece for me to grind back to put it at the right angle.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I suggest you are overthinking this. All you need to do is put the smallest of blobs of weld on the back of the hinge end of the footrest where it touches the footrest bracket. File or grind the weld until sits where you want it to. You can weld it using almost any ordinary welding rod, stick tig. You are not going to be putting much heat into the footrest in the second that it takes to just put a spot on.
Bill's suggestion of grub screws is a good one that I have used myself on one of my rider footrests but it a bit more work than a blob of weld.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
The thing with screws is you can fine tune it,
With weld if you take too much off, Out comes the welder again :) .
Even if it was Cast, It's under compression, So no load ?.
I think I welded cast with normal the other day, On my new side stand, It didn't take too well and
Didn't feel right, But I gave it a good Blast !, And think it's OK, But don't trust it too much, We will see.

Black Flash

VOC Member
Simply hold it a a vice, put a strong tube over the peg and bend it.
You have to remove and refit the footrest rubber though.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Robert said:-
Mind you that was 35 years ago and about 120,000 miles so not really a proven fix yet.

What amount of time / distance do you consider it to be proven, Robert ? I consider my bike doesn't owe me a penny even after buying it doing six engine rebuilds, having a starter fitted, some folk lose more just exchanging & upgrading to the next model of a modern bike. !
bananaman.