Picador engine on ebay!

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It looks pretty good. I talked to Vaughn Greene many years ago and he had one that sold very quickly. Another member mentioned that Vaughn's had a prop with it.

I think there were more than 30. The Deeprose firm disasembled many and sold them for parts. I recognize the name on the other engine in the background. O'Shea is a friend of mine. His parts went to a dealer, so I assume the gent selling the Picador sells Vincents for good money. This may not be bad as he may have some decent knowledge.

I don't know what your intended use is, but the engine is not particularly useful to most Vincent owners. It would be a nice display piece. There are several good articles in MPH on the Picador project.

There was also a post on this engine in the Members Only Section, so I assume that you were not able to see that. That may have slowed the number of responses.

David

Bob

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks David. That is interesting information. Yes, I was thinking it would make a nice display piece especially in working order to fire up now and again.
In any case, the way the auction is going, it will be way beyond my budget!
By the way, I thought these had Scintilla magnetos?
Cheers
Bob

davidd

VOC Member
Bob,

I think the Scintilla was used on most engines, but not all. The high bidder has not hit reserve, so the seller may want quite a bit.

David

litnman

VOC Member
Does anyone recall the selling price of Vaughn Greene's Picador? $2o,000 seem the number I recall.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I have just talked to Vaughan Greene this morning. He's in good spirits.

A couple of things to clear up, his picador did not have a prop on it and he said that his picador had Scintilla magneto.

Vaughan also had another Scintilla and he sold it to Joe Simpson.

davidd

VOC Member
Does anyone recall the selling price of Vaughn Greene's Picador? $2o,000 seem the number I recall.

I have it in mind that it was $24,000, but keep in my mind that my mind is no longer the safest place for that type of data. I think I said in a post that Bill Hoddinott was involved in the sale and he reminded me it was Sid.

Gene,

It is nice to hear that Vaughn is doing well. I last saw him at Half Moon Bay in 2007. He used to own my Grey Flash and sold it to Sidney Dickson. He has some good stories about that! If you remember, please give him my regards.

David

davidd

VOC Member
I had been talking to one of the bidders with the idea that he could contact the seller directly and negotiate because I recognized the engine in the background. Apparently, someone else found him first and the listing ended. The high bid when it ended was 17,500 Pounds ($21,800). So, it has disappeared, at least for a while.

David

Bob

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I get the impression that the vendor is just 'testing the water'. The last time I looked the item was at £15,600, reserve not met, and then it was gone!
It annoys and surprises me that ebay puts up with this.
Bob

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
I get the impression that the vendor is just 'testing the water'. The last time I looked the item was at £15,600, reserve not met, and then it was gone!
It annoys and surprises me that ebay puts up with this.
Bob

Although it is a frustration when auctions end early, I do understand from sellers point of veiw. Ebay takes a huge cut for very little effort.

If I could sell privately I would.

Gene.