Photos.

John Cone

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have just tried to upload some photos to a thread, but get an error message saying file to big, how do i get round this please?

davidd

VOC Member
John,

I have seen some incredibly big files uploaded so it must be huge. I use Fastone Photo Resizer that is available free and is quite good once you get used to it. If you are not good with this stuff, I would wait for a better answer. I used the Fastone so much I have forgotten the other methods. 250 KB will make a full photo on the forum screen.

http://download.cnet.com/FastStone-Photo-Resizer/3000-2192_4-10319476.html

David

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello John, I have Windows Vista, If you click on the photo you want, I come up " Microsoft office picture manager " at the top, Then click on "Edit Pictures" Then on the right click on resize, Then click on "Persentage of original width x height ", Then press on lower arrow untill it shows about 50%, Then click OK, Then press " Save ", Then go back to your picture storage, It works on mine ?. Good Luck, Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hello John, I have Windows Vista, If you click on the photo you want, I come up " Microsoft office picture manager " at the top, Then click on "Edit Pictures" Then on the right click on resize, Then click on "Percentage of original width x height ", Then press on lower arrow until it shows about 50%, Then click OK, Then press " Save ", Then go back to your picture storage, It works on mine ?. Good Luck, Bill.
Dear Bill,
You know more about computers than you have been letting on.;) Microsoft Office Picture Manager is a very useful programme and fairly easy to use for minor editing jobs. If John Cone has a Microsoft Office suite prior to Office 2013 installed he should be able to use Picture Manager to sort out his file without having to download an additional programme. If he doesn't have MS Office then Davidd's suggestion is a good solution.
What Bill has correctly described will give a smaller picture. John's problem is the actual size of the file so he would need to choose the compress picture option rather than resize. I'm don't actually know what the maximum upload file size is for the forum.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Eddy, A few years ago , My Brother had a Super house in Devon, I only went there once, I don't travel well !, I took a photo of my car in his garden with the view beyond !, When I got home I saw Linda had the Washing out !!, I deleted it from the photo and had to rebuild the side of his house !!, I sent Lin' an email, With the New photo , And told her I had taken the washing in !!. Well it made me laugh. Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Morning Eddy, Just had a look at the Compress bit you were saying, Am I right that it stays the same size, I have never done it . The way I do it , Is to save space on the Computer ?, I don't think you need a photo any bigger than 1 M.B. ?. Some of these camaras , When you download to the Computer, You wind up with 3 or 4 M.B. ? per photo, I had a small email box a while ago and people would fill it up with 1 email !!, But I have sorted that now.
I really don't know what I am doing !!, Just winging it !!. Cheers Bill.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Morning Eddy, Just had a look at the Compress bit you were saying, Am I right that it stays the same size, I have never done it . The way I do it , Is to save space on the Computer ?, I don't think you need a photo any bigger than 1 M.B. ?. Some of these cameras , When you download to the Computer, You wind up with 3 or 4 M.B. ? per photo, I had a small email box a while ago and people would fill it up with 1 email !!, But I have sorted that now.
I really don't know what I am doing !!, Just winging it !!. Cheers Bill.
Dear Bill,
Resize and compress is a bit six of one and half a dozen of the other. The point I was trying to make (and probably failing ;)) was that uploads might be limited to a certain file size, e.g. 3, 4, .. 10 Mb, etc. Some email programmes limit the file size of an email to 10 Mb so if you have photos with a large file size might only be able to attach and send a few with each email. In an instance like that you could total up the individual photo file sizes to see how many you can send so it is the file size (Mb) that is important rather than the picture size. (e.g. 1024 x 768, 800 x 600.) The same sort of thing can apply to uploading pictures to a forum.
As you say some of the digital cameras produce very large file sizes which is great for seeing the finest detail but takes up a lot of storage space on the computer and makes sending them over the internet more problematic. The definition of a compressed picture is often adequate when viewing online.
This is turning into a bit of a computer thread but the important thing is that it is good to able to post photos. The old adage of "a picture paints a thousand words" is true here, just a bit more difficult when the picture is too many millions of bytes.:rolleyes:

John Cone

VOC Member
Hi guys sorry for the delay in getting back. Unfortunately i am running Windows 10 with Office 2013. I hadn't realised that MS had dropped the picture manager.

John Cone

VOC Member
Hi guys sorry for the delay in getting back. Unfortunately i am running Windows 10 with Office 2013. I hadn't realised that MS had dropped the picture manager.
To over come this problem, i am waiting for a cd to come with Office 2010 on. You can re-install 2010, then delete out everything except picture manager and then re- install office 2013.