Photos

G

Graham Smith

Confused

Sorry - perhaps I should have said this in my previous message, but if you dislike so many things about our forum and photo hosting facility (I do know the vast majority of Vincent enthusiasts love it), why do you keep visiting us?

Debbie Kemp

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
i guess it must be the guy they pay to do the site selling bells and lights

Gosh, you really haven't got a clue about the VOC, have you? Maybe if someone points out that the guy that spends so many hours running this fantastic forum does it for FREE, to benefit members, then you won't be so quick to knock his hard work.

Rapide998

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Forgive me if you don't agree here, but I personaly feel that any pictures that I put up are for the viewing pleasure :p of fellow VOC member.
Perhaps we can have a picture section for members only:rolleyes:.
That's the reason I haven't uploaded any of my vincent or other motorcycling pictures complete with bike reg numbers to prevent folk like daveinnola "stealing" the pictures and posting on other sites.
The fact he refers to the word "steal" makes me suspicous of him...
So nainama bike photies fur you matey:mad:

Last edited:
G

Graham Smith

It would be very easy to 'close the door' of the photos section to non-VOC Members. - as easy as closing the door to Floggers Corner.

My only concern is that we really want this site to be the place people visit when they want to know anything about Vincent Motorcycles. If we close the door too tightly, another site will open up somewhere else offering the material that we don't. I'm sure we're now the No. 1 Vincent-related site around, and we really don't want to lose that title.

It's a tough one to call. What do YOU think?

nkt267

VOC Member
I'm not bothered if people take photos off our site or not.I would hate to think that we close the doors to anyone who has an interest in Vincents.As to the complaint of all the 'modern clutter ' in the photos if you want showroom photos of Vincents then there are places you can get them.Primarily we are a RIDERS club and our bikes are shown being used and not shown as old fossils or display items.The Vincent Owners Club is alive and well and thriving and generally admired for being so.The comments about Vincents being ridden everywhere,and ridden as Vincents were intended to be:D, at the Manx testifies to this.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Keep the Photo's available

I vote for keeping the photo's available, I give the site address to a whole load of folks I meet up with who ask interesting questions and have had some great feedback from people who've looked - especially at the pictures.

Speaking as someone who's loaded quite a few, I tend to get snap happy when I go to events, and not all of them are pure Vincent, and then post them in the hope that they may be of interest to people who were not able to attend. Fingers crossed there may be someone out there who is not as fortunate as me in terms of being mobile and able to ride, and might enjoy seeing pictures posted of events around the UK that they couldn't get to.

I can't think of too many reasons that someone might wish to "steal" a picture to do bad things with (you can copy and paste one off e-bay if you were an ebay scammer), but then that may well be because my mind does not work that way.

However, eventually the VOC will die unless it finds ways to attract a new membership, fact. I think that the Forum is one way to do that and three cheers for Graham, I just do not know how he does it, but it is a fabulous job and works for me 11 out of 10. I think it is one of the greatest innovations I can imagine in the recent history of the VOC which I find, on the whole, a very friendly and helpful place to be.

Accessing photographs is just one more way, if people can see pictures of events that they can then go to, can see friendly faces at VOC events enjoying motorcyling and other things then it might just encourage one more person to join, and I think that it a good thing.

And staying on membership for a second, if only we could find a way to let the Club Black Shadow contribute to converting people to the love and joy of owning a Vincent by letting people try it, and pushing membership numbers up, then that would be a good thing in my book.

If someone comes on the site and doesn't like it, fine - don't come again. If someone wants to spend time airbrushing the watermark - fine, but if you email me I'll send you the picture anyway.

Keep them open for people to see and enjoy, that's why I post them.

Stuart

clevtrev

VOC Member
It would be very easy to 'close the door' of the photos section to non-VOC Members. - as easy as closing the door to Floggers Corner.

My only concern is that we really want this site to be the place people visit when they want to know anything about Vincent Motorcycles. If we close the door too tightly, another site will open up somewhere else offering the material that we don't. I'm sure we're now the No. 1 Vincent-related site around, and we really don't want to lose that title.

It's a tough one to call. What do YOU think?
Is it possible to restrict the photo`s to view only, not available for copying.

G

Graham Smith

Unfortunately, if a company like Microsoft can't protect their operating systems and the like from the counterfeiters, what chance do we stand in stopping people copying the photos of our Members?!

Rapide998

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Completely with you on your feeling on this Graham, also agree with Stuart and nkt267 my Vinny was out today for a gallop so certainly ridden and not hidden as should be.:)
If it contibutes to our site being the numero uno then I'm all for keeping it "as is" but I will not post any photos of my vincents.
Perhaps I'm just being overly Cautious with my reg numbers, locations ect.
and the fact i'm annoyed somewhat that some guy comes on here and start spouting off about the pictures folk go to the bother of uploading because they don't come up to his expectations in order that he can "steal" them for another site :mad:

VinParts

Non-VOC Member
Theft or not?

This dave bloke has a photo on this forum with the caption 'borrowed from the sandspeedwales.com web site, a large site getting bigger by the day'.
This site is now closed down and I wonder if Lynn knows that HIS photos are getting used on other websites.
He has also been putting photos on that "not as good as this site" thevincent.com:p

As to the question of members only access, my view is let the public see our bikes but airbrush out the number plate and if you cant do that than ask Graham to do it when he puts the VOC watermark on it.