Photos of all models of Vincent Motorcycles

Fathom

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hmmm, thanks Albervin, maybe I should just forget about this whole project because it sounds like a major headache that I don't need right now. Maybe the thought of photographing the worlds biggest collection had me excited but if some want to shoot that collection down in flames, calling not "real" bikes and photoshopping them to be fakes I'm not interested as much now, like I said earlier i know next to nothing about these bikes but I'm sure not many reading this know anything about the collection and how "real' these bikes actually are.
As for 85mm giving best results for bike photography is like saying a Yamaha 250 road bike is the best for MX and trials.....totally wrong, a 400mm f4 or f5.6 can get a great shot if you are at the right distance from the subject, it depends on the situation and lighting conditions you have.

ET43

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I am in possession of a cd taken by a UK resident who when visiting Australia, was invited by the owner to photograph his collection. The owner has done a fantastic job in putting together these machines which cover all aspects of H.R.D.'s, Vincents' and what they were used for, ie, sport or road. But, most of them appear to be not as they left the factory, and as Albervin says, only around six or seven are as they should be. Having said that, warts and all, I reckon that I could find them garage room. As to them being the biggest collection, this might not be true as there are quite a few collectors or investors, horrible words, who have stuff tucked away that will probably never see the light of day in my lifetime. Cheers, Phil ET43 Primmer.

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
totally wrong, a 400mm f4 or f5.6 can get a great shot if you are at the right distance from the subject, it depends on the situation and lighting conditions you have.

Not totally wrong. Although you could theoretically use any lens, in the context of this project, an 85mm lens on 35mm or full frame digital would be (generally speaking) the best compromise with which to get a decent combination of depth of field and minimum distortion. For studio shots (as you mentioned you would be doing), a 400mm would need 50 feet of space and you would be using F22 to get sufficient depth of field. So you would need a very big studio with very powerful lights. 400mm would not be generally used for static 'product' type shots that are being discussed here, but 85mm very probably would.

Albervin

VOC Member
Hmmm, thanks Albervin, maybe I should just forget about this whole project because it sounds like a major headache that I don't need right now. Maybe the thought of photographing the worlds biggest collection had me excited but if some want to shoot that collection down in flames, calling not "real" bikes and photoshopping them to be fakes I'm not interested as much now, like I said earlier i know next to nothing about these bikes but I'm sure not many reading this know anything about the collection and how "real' these bikes actually are.
As for 85mm giving best results for bike photography is like saying a Yamaha 250 road bike is the best for MX and trials.....totally wrong, a 400mm f4 or f5.6 can get a great shot if you are at the right distance from the subject, it depends on the situation and lighting conditions you have.
A little clarification appears to be in order. The bikes in the collection are "real" inasmuch they are Vincents that are accurately described (no fake numbers). They are used and some have been abused (by previous owners). Most people would sell their first born for some of the bikes!! When you take a photo of a bike then turn it into an "art photo" (my personal description) as in your pictures earlier in this thread, then you immediately alienate a section of those who appreciate the Vincent for what it was and is. A clear, sharp photo, taken in the "magic hour" of late afternoon or early morning may appear boring to some but to many it is the ideal shot. My comment about the 85 mm lens was meant to refer to studio use and I accept I was remiss in not making that clear. It is always a good idea to focus on a target audience (unintended pun, honestly) when starting a project. Once decided then stick with it and hopefully it won't turn to shite. I wish you good luck.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Non-VOC Member
I had the pleasure of staying with this collecter a few years ago, a very nice chap, he is a member of the VOC.at the time he had 45 vincents including the RTV, maybe has more now,they are all in good nick, he regular shows them and has been over here several times. Regards Trev.

Yes, this man in W. Australia does in fact have a wide assortment, if not examples of every single model. I have been trying to get him to adopt me.

Carl's poster works for most of us, as most folks I know have one. As far as another version, good photography and graphics are impressive, but it might get really expensive, so some of us would shy away.