Photos of all models of Vincent Motorcycles

Fathom

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Here is a half finished job from bright midday sun which was just a snap shot and is not finished yet....am I on the right track here? I will be photographing these bikes under controlled conditions with appropriate lighting....this is just an example of worse case scenario conditions :
After and before:
Any tips on perfecting the shots would be appreciated......cheers

Attachments

• VINCENT edid 8.jpg
    VINCENT edid 8.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Vincent HRD original.jpg
    Vincent HRD original.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Fathom

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Thanks for the info, as stated earlier I am just a photographer but I would like to get all shots "correct" before I get too involved in this project, seems like a have a bigger then expected learning curve to hurdle but I like a challenge and thanks again for your input. I'll post more photos if your are interested and feel free to correct my mistakes if you spot them.

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The large indicator is kind of distracting. Also, the weight of the sidecar compressed the rear suspension so that the muffler looks very low.

Fathom

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Nice one A-BCD...I must point out that the bike in my photograph has just been purchased like that and has not been restored, it is just an indication of the type of photograph I will be producing.

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
I would use a longer lens and avoid wide angles as distortion is making the mirror look very jumbo sized and the bike has rather a goldfish bowl shape. Are you shooting these on FF digital?

Fathom

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Good call re wide angle, for this shot I used a Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 on a Canon 7D. For the studio I will use a 50mm f1.8 on the 7D or if I get the funds I will use a 5DmkII which is FF. Thanks for the input.

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
I think 50mm on APS-C is about right, maybe an 85 on FF. 35 bikes x 3 hours a bike including moving, lighting, cleaning and shooting - you've got close to a month's work on here. Good luck!

Fathom

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Yeah its a big job, might shoot all 50 or so bikes, does anyone know if this is a registered trade mark and if so who might own it? I'm led to believe an American bought it but died a few years ago and I cant find any more info on this.....

Attachments

• logovhrd.gif
    logovhrd.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Albervin

VOC Member
Fathom, the trade mark as you call it is only registered to people (e.g. Holder in the UK) for the purpose of making and selling motorcycles. I believe ( & I was wrong once so I could be wrong again) the Vincent Scroll and HRD logo can be reproduced on such things as T shirts etc. without infringing copyright. One of the lawyers out there can give a definitive answer. As far as Mr Li goes, his rights only applied to the USA and possibly a couple of European countries. You have to choose whether you want to photograph "real" bikes, warts and all, or photoshop them to appear to be something they are not. Unless you are seriously au fait with Vincents then you could be entering a minefield. Most of the bikes the collector has were purchased as going machines that had been "restored" or were "original". There are probably only a half a dozen truly original bikes out there so best to take good photos of what you see rather than cock it all up. There are books out there that show what some models should look like and you can't do much better than rely on Jacqueline Bickerstaff's excellent tome. The person's that have been advising (?) on the collection have used their own interpretation and recollections: if you ask 6 Vincnet people for an opinion you will receive 7 answers, all of which may be correct!!!! With 35 mm photography I always thought an 85 mm lens gave the best results for bikes....