Photos - computer problem?

Peter Stokes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I put a photo in 'miscellaneous' of a tool I was unfamiliar with. First, sorry for putting it on twice. Ossie has kindly replied with a comment but it is showing up as {ppcode}. I don't know what that means. It looks like this when I view it on different computers, so have I, by accident, set something wrongly so that comments cannot be made?

Ossie, if you see this, please repeat your reply in this thread.

Thank you - Pete

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
Can't solve your computor issue, but the tool is an instrument of torture, that young men were forced to manufacture in the first year of their apprenticeship by using cold chisels, files and scrapers.
It goes under the name of Toolmakers clamp, it is used to clamp 2 flat components together and will only work properly when the 2 clamping faces are parallel in both planes

ossie

VOC Member
well done jim.
they come in various sizes used them all the time in my toolmaking days.
still hanging up in me shed,
ideal for transfering holes when making a copy of something.
on dowel holes use the dia drill of the dowel and just make a small dimple then drill thru using a smalller dia drill then follow thru using a reamer.
this was how we made press tools up and then along came the jigborer.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Thanks both - that's good, and it looks like I have brought back some memories.

Pete
The reason they are made that way, is to facilitate the assembly of a bolster set, the punch already bolted and doweled to the top plate, the die on the bottom plate. The bolster was then closed to locate the die in the right position in relationship with the punch. The small gap between the punch plate and the die , was where the toolmakers clamp had to fit into. Then having clamped it, the top bolster plate was removed. allowing the toolmaker to access the transfer of the required holes through the die into the bolster bottom plate.

Peter Stokes

VOC Member
I have come back from a holiday to find quite a lot of interest in the clamp. Thank you to everyone for that. Unfortunately there is some computer glitch and all the comments are not visible to me. They appear as '{ppcode}'. I can see Howard's but not the others. Maybe it is because I put the photo on twice by mistake. If folk would like to repeat their contributions here I would like to see them.

Thanks - Pete

Repeated comments probably not needed now - see next post.

Last edited:

Peter Stokes

VOC Member
I have just seen Graham's thread about fixing a problem with comments on photos.

Thanks Graham, and while I'm at it, thanks for all you do for us.

Pete