Photocard licence

macvette

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I've just had to renew my photocard licence to update the address. I did it on line and got my replacement in 5 days. I'm impressed.

petermb998

Non-VOC Member
Have you checked that you still have all your groups that you are allowed to drive/ride.
be-aware that some times DVLA miss the motorcycle groups off your licence and then deny that you have got the groups. You have to prove it and DVLA do not except a photo copy of your licence as proof.
regards Peter

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
License Catagories

This happens in Australia too. I have heard of cases where people have had to sit licenses again because the relevant organisation? has left a category off their license.

Phelps.

macvette

Non-VOC Member
Yes it does have all the groups on it. I have heard about groups being missed from licences but have never had a problem with that happening. Before I retired, I had a job which took me all over the world and have had to exchange my licence a number of times on return to the UK. It's always come back containing the correct info.

Last edited:

Mickthevin

Non-VOC Member
Licence

BEFORE MY CURRENT EMPLOYMENT I WAS A MOTORCYCLE INSTRUCTOR FOR 5 YEARS AND ON AVERAGE I PUT ONE "STUDENT" A MONTH THROUGH THEIR TEST WHEN THEY HAD PREVIOUSLY HAD MOTORCYCLE ENTITLEMENT ON THEIR LICENCE. ALMOST WITHOUT EXCEPTION THEIR STORY WAS THE SAME
ie DID THEIR TEST YEARS AGO, GAVE UP BIKES WHEN THEY GOT MARRIED, MOVED HOUSE A COUPLE OF TIMES AND CHANGED THEIR LICENCE AS THEY DID SO AND 20 OR SO YEARS LATER WENT TO BUY A BIKE AND REALISED THAT THE MOTORCYCLE ENTITLEMENT WAS NO LONGER THERE.
DVLA WERE NEVER INTERESTED AS THEY DO NOT KEEP PAST RECORDS AND BASICALLY SAID IF ITS NOT ON YOUR LICENCE YOU HAVENT DONE IT

UNLESS YOU HAVE YOUR ORIGINAL PASS CERTIFICATE THE ONLY RECOURSE IS A PHOTOCOPY. ANY TIME I SEND MY LICENCE TO DVLA I ALWAYS TAKE A COPY AS BACK UP. WE HAD A MEETING YEARS AGO WITH THE DSA TALKING ABOUT MINOR CHANGES IN THE TEST AND THIS VERY POINT WAS RAISED AND THE DSA SAID THIS WAS THE VERY MINIMUM YOU SHOULD DO. IT OBVIOUSLY HELPS IF YOU HAVE OTHER PROOF ie ADVANCED RIDING CERTIFICATES ETC.
WITH REGARD TO THE PHOTO PART MY WIFE GOT A NEW PASSPORT A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO AND THEN DECIDED SHE WANTED TO LEARN TO DRIVE A CAR -WE APPLIED FOR HER PROVISIONAL LICENCE ON LINE AND BECAUSE THE PASSPORT APPLICATION WAS VERY RECENT WE DIDNT HAVE TO SEND ANOTHER PHOTO AND HER LICENCE TURNED UP 2 DAYS LATER

MICK