Phillip Island International Classic 2019

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It was a good event as always, but the numbers of entrants and even spectators was down by comparison to when I raced there in 2015. The poms being out of the international challenge would have made up some of the numbers but even in the other groups the numbers were down by a lot. The cost to enter the race including Thursday practice is very high, and this is putting people off entering. Apart from the Irving Vincent boy's there was no other Vincent's racing........ I know Ken Lucas had his Norvin there but he was just playing with it. when Beau Beaton had that "T bone crash" on Saturday morning that was a big blow, many spectators commenting on their disappointment that Beau and the Horner's bike was out for the rest of the weekend. The American who came off first broke his leg, and I heard that Beau had a few fractures in his pelvis and possible lower back damage. I saw the bike on a trailer come back to the pits and the forks were pushed back to the engine............ That pretty much killed the weekend for me after that........... Beau was in hospital for some time, but apparently he is fine, I haven't heard about how the American rider is. It is hard to say what the future holds for this event, the main focus is always the international challenge, the other events seem to just make up the numbers. It is a fabulous track to ride on, but their thirst for money makes it hard, most older blokes are not interested in paying big dollars for such a small amount of actual track time.

vibrac

VOC Member
The high circuit costs are a factor in the UK as well I am afraid that the media and the 'nudge' policies of .gov make sure that motor sport apart from boring formula 1 is not covered hence public money is available for ball games facilities and the druggy Olympics but not powered sport.
I suppose when we all have to suffer autodrive hire cars for transport motor sport will because popular as horse racing is now but thats a long time away

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
The American rider, Jason Pridmore has broken tibia and fibula and a separated shoulder joint, from what I heard. Also such a pity, as Greg says, that there are fewer biffed up old grunters being raced by blokes in scabby black leathers.