Phil irving

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
PHIL IRVING
BORN: 06.05.1903
PASSED AWAY: 14.01.1992

A short time before Phil died, he had a brief time with Motoring Journalist - Graham Howard. With Edith's O.K. the following is submitted.

"I suppose I would probably have become a farmer if all the things had not happened which led to my becoming an engineer. It I not easy to decide which of my designs has been the most satisfying, but on reflection I think I would say the Black Shadow. For me it was most satisfying because of the breadth of its achievements, by which I mean that Back Shadows held national speed record in almost every country of the world, while they were also very good touring bikes and made some great long-distance trips.

I do get some satisfaction, too, from Repco Brabham V8 engines I was the sole engineer of the 1966 engine, which won that year's Formula One championship despite the doubts of experts. You could say I'm the only Australian - in fact probably the only bloke in the world - who has designed both a record-breaking bike and world championship car.

It is always difficult, trying to wrap things up. How do you know when you've got to the end?"

Last edited:

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
I have sent a copy of this to John Surtees He is not a member of the VOC or forum they have a lot in common Phil, did get a MBE and so did John. I am honoured to have worked with and known them both,

Last edited:

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
I have sent a copy of this to John Surtees He is not a member of the VOC or forum they have a lot in common Phil, did get a MBE and so did John. I am honoured to have worked with and known them both,

I never met Phil, I met John at DATONA one year, did some business with John in the early years, I also built a SURTEES replica in his honor.

MAX

From the planes of Kansas.

John Smith-Daye

VOC Member
.. and here is the aforementioned John Surtees with my Rapide & I a few months ago...

A man with a great history, and plenty of stories to tell. I feel privileged to have met him.

Attachments

• JSD & John Surtees.jpg
    JSD & John Surtees.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited: