• Welcome to the forum website of the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club.

Should you have any questions relating to the Vincent H.R.D. Owners Club, or Vincent H.R.D. motorcycles in general, please contact Graham Smith, Online Forum Webmaster by calling 07977 001 025 or please CLICK HERE.

You are unrecognised, and therefore, only have VERY restricted access to the many features of this forum website.

If you have previously registered to use this forum website, you should log in now. CLICK HERE.

If you have never registered to use this forum website before, please CLICK HERE.

Phil irving

david bowen

Well Known and Active Forum Website User
Non-VOC Member
PHIL IRVING
BORN: 06.05.1903
PASSED AWAY: 14.01.1992

A short time before Phil died, he had a brief time with Motoring Journalist - Graham Howard. With Edith's O.K. the following is submitted.

"I suppose I would probably have become a farmer if all the things had not happened which led to my becoming an engineer. It I not easy to decide which of my designs has been the most satisfying, but on reflection I think I would say the Black Shadow. For me it was most satisfying because of the breadth of its achievements, by which I mean that Back Shadows held national speed record in almost every country of the world, while they were also very good touring bikes and made some great long-distance trips.

I do get some satisfaction, too, from Repco Brabham V8 engines I was the sole engineer of the 1966 engine, which won that year's Formula One championship despite the doubts of experts. You could say I'm the only Australian - in fact probably the only bloke in the world - who has designed both a record-breaking bike and world championship car.

It is always difficult, trying to wrap things up. How do you know when you've got to the end?"

Last edited:

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
I have sent a copy of this to John Surtees He is not a member of the VOC or forum they have a lot in common Phil, did get a MBE and so did John. I am honoured to have worked with and known them both,

Last edited:

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
I have sent a copy of this to John Surtees He is not a member of the VOC or forum they have a lot in common Phil, did get a MBE and so did John. I am honoured to have worked with and known them both,

I never met Phil, I met John at DATONA one year, did some business with John in the early years, I also built a SURTEES replica in his honor.

MAX

From the planes of Kansas.

John Smith-Daye

VOC Member
.. and here is the aforementioned John Surtees with my Rapide & I a few months ago...

A man with a great history, and plenty of stories to tell. I feel privileged to have met him.

Attachments

• JSD & John Surtees.jpg
    JSD & John Surtees.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9yrs ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.