Petteford rear springs

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello John, No they go on normal, I have used them for Ever on twins, But be aware, I think they give you even Less Trail !! Cheers Bill.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid here . I think being longer than std. Springs they rock the swing arm further back and so tighten up the chain slack . Simply readjust the axle position . True Petteford springs make the handling a bit lighter , quicker handling in curves but not in themselves unsafe . Ran them for decades no problem on my own Shadow .

clevtrev

VOC Member
Sid here . I think being longer than std. Springs they rock the swing arm further back and so tighten up the chain slack . Simply readjust the axle position . .

Impossible, the tightest point of chain, is when the engine sprocket,frame pivot, and rear sprocket, are in a straight plane.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Clev might be right , the chain slack does change with the rider on board . Seems to get tighter . Sid .

timetraveller

VOC Member
Clevtrev is right, not 'might be'. It is important that the chain tension is set with all three spindles in line as in every other position the chain gets slacker. Adjust it with the wheel spindle well below the line and you will quickly write off your chain and sprockets.

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Never experienced rapid chain and sprocket wear over my ownership since 1951 , must have gotten it right . Had them eaten up by Bonneville salt tho ! You should try it . Sid .

Big Sid

Non-VOC Member
Sid here . I have always sought to have 3/4 inch mid way on the lower strand of the rear chain with the rider in the saddle . Both single and twin . The Handbook dictates this in fact . Never had a problem with this setting . Just reread PEIs writings on the subject and see no reason to change .
If a rigid frame is being used , as my drag bike was ie no rear shocks , I use a figure of 3/8 to a half inch only . If too loose the rear drum can be shattered by a whip crack effect of the chain . Saw this happen on a pukka Black Lightning , the drum turned to iron dust
during a drag race upon a hard shift into second . Poof and the drum vanished .