T: Fuel Tank Petrol taps

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The ones I bought from your Dad in the ‘90’s had a male bsp end for the tank and I believe a compression end with nut removed for the petrol pipe union nut. Those seem to be harder to find.

Any other suggestions for a modern ball valve with ends like this? (screen not required.)

1392_PETROL_TAP_LEVER_-_CHROME_thumb.JPG

greg brillus

VOC Member
I always use a liquid pipe/hydraulic sealant smeared around the flange and around the thread. I never have any leaks, plus the sealing washer is important too, the ones the VOC spares sell for the oil pipe banjo's work very well as they are soft. I don't like the red fiber washers as these are too hard, except on the stock carb banjo fittings, and sometimes the soft sealing washers help out here as well. Another washer that works very well on the lever taps with the loose adjusting nut are the copper ones with the rubber insert, a bit like a Dowty seal, as they crush and this forces the rubber insert hard into the thread which seals it. Petrol taps are a real pain, especially when they leak internally..........This is a common cause for the original side bowl carb's to continually drip fuel even after the bike is sitting for some time. Disconnect the pipe fitting and leave a small container left under the tap overnight to see if it is leaking, you will soon know, this applies to the original push/pull taps as well which are notorious for leaking. Not good on a Black engine for sure..............

bmetcalf

VOC Member
VOCSC sells these ball valves - P/N T28/4

I wonder if they were available 18 months ago when I was looking and I just assumed the weren't?

vibrac

VOC Member
I think Ron Kemp introduced me to them decades ago to my shame it was only when one leaked.a year or so ago some kind person on here told me they were adjustable.

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Tim, if you use the allen key to completely remove the threaded collar, the seals and ball will come out. You may be able to turn a new seal from a bit of nylon. Cheers, Stu.

brian gains

VOC Member
these are seals I've bought off fleabay, not specfied as viton but you can see what effect soaking in Texaco's finest overnight had. nb this was not molested in any way.
TapSeal.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
Supermarkets are for oranges and soap flakes, coming to rest with an empty tank opposite a hand car wash in a newly disused petrol station is all the disincentive you need :mad:
Esso Supreme is our last hope:( (for the moment)

bmetcalf

VOC Member
My problem with my Kemp tap from the '90's is that it rotates too freely. I've ordered a new one from the VOCSC, but I'll try adjusting this loose one to see how it does.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I've been using taps from Screwfix for several years without any problems. From memory, they are around £6.00 and don't seem to have any leaking problems. They are sold for washing machine/central heating, etc.