T: Fuel Tank Petrol tap corks and Ethanol

nickthehod

Forum User
VOC Member
I am getting a bit tired of replacing the corks on my petrol taps every 18 months or so. Has anyone tried making some sort of replacement with viton etc? I really would like to keep the taps if possible.... Only using ethanol free is not a realistic option and neither is draining the system completely. It's a regular rider. Thanks Folks.

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Don´t believe ethanol is a problem with corks. Otherwise all brandy or wine bottle corks would perish, having a higher content of ethanol. What type of taps is it anyway ? I replaced a number of rubber seals in taps because rubber /NBR is not suitable for modern fuel - ethanol again not the point but all sorts of thinners in our fuel. Yes, Viton is allright but often not great in taps, no smooth action as fuel got no lubrication. So cork is my choice except for cone type brass taps which I modify with stainless steel cones.

Vic

erik

VOC Member
@ Chris : I had the same with my brass ones.I have the best experience with the flat Lever ones which you can buy for 15 Pounds from surrey cycles.Erik

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
This problem with fuel taps has been discussed before.
I have tried several over the years which end up either seizing or eventually leaking and so I now use a oil gas valve readily available for around £8 with a chrome body. Just remove the yellow plastic bit in the lever, then internally thread the top end that goes inside the tank so a readily available fuel filter can be fitted in the usual place onto the tap inside the tank and then fit and forget. Been using them for 15 plus years on various bikes over 10's of thousands of miles with UK and continental fuel and never had a problem with one at all. Only problem is they only come in 1/4 BSP fitting which is fine for series B to D but won't fit series A.
Here is the previous discussion as to where to find the taps & filters:

Here is what one looks like fitted. The lever is black painted aluminium and I'm sure the paint could be removed to make them even less obvious if thats a concern.
ball valve fuel tap.JPG

greg brillus

VOC Member
I use an aviation grade of fuel proof grease to assemble cork and other petrol taps, it makes them work and last very well........ I massage a small amount into the new cork, and a small amount around the mouth of the tap before installing the plunger into the bore.......Seems to work great.

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
Taps and replacement plungers with viton "corks" available at VOCSC (other suppliers may be available), new in so description not updated on website yet.
20200915_105334.jpg

Last edited:

Roslyn

Non-VOC Member
I have had no problems with the old fashioned out dated cork petrol taps but ready to upgrade in the future if need be? and one just keeps a eye for all leaks on old bikes for oil and petrol. grease etc "I still have to grease the valves and rockers on one of my bikes" that is why when stored they all have drip tray

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Like VIN 998 I have changed to those taps. I painted the little yellow tabs black and left them in. Also having seized the A twin from running a very long gentle uphill grade ( westbound on Loop Loop pass In Northern Washington state) on one tap (which on A's are 1/8 bsp) I changed the tanks to take 1/4 bsp.

Those taps take a minor fettling re the internal screens but a lot less effort than many things one tries to change on a Vincent!