Petrol Tank Painter in UK Midlands

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
A friend has asked for recommendations for someone to paint his "C" Rapide tank. He lives in the Birmingham area of England so preferably somewhere fairly local to him. Any ideas?

vibrac

VOC Member
Why not one of the Spares Company painters? he did me a fine Scott tank and a Vincent one or two - KAS Race Paints Kettering not the cheapest -but if you want cheaper you may find it costs you a lot more....

Here is one I found cheaper:
Lovely finish but the ethanol crept under the resistant paint to the non resistant undercoat make sure they understand the preparation of the filler cap area this car finisher did not.
vtank1.jpg

B

brap

I use a guy in Pathead. I gave him a tank a few years ago that had never been painted before so he knows exactly where the lining and decals go.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I use a guy in Pathead. I gave him a tank a few years ago that had never been painted before so he knows exactly where the lining and decals go.
Thank you "brap" but Pathead is around 280 miles away so not quite local.;)

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
What about a Tank Cover ? Much cheaper, Won't scratch. Cheers Bill.
A very practical suggestion Bill but he already has a tank cover fitted. I think he wants to get the tank looking good and then he can protect it with the cover afterwards.

Tom Walker

Non-VOC Member
Eddy there is a man local to me who paints tanks, he lives in Welford. He did what I consider to be a a good job on an AJS tank for me. He advertises in the VMCC bulletin. Its difficult because peoples standards vary so not quite sure where your friend is on this "scale" but one way round it is for me to show your mate mt AJ tank and see what he thinks. Let me know, cheers Tom.

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator

The tanks were done by hand, so you only know where they went on that tank. The location of the Vincent scrolls on my original finish tank vary from each other by 1/2 an inch vertically, and a smaller bit front to back. It is my understanding the club sampled a number of original tanks and averaged out the variances to publish some measurements as a guideline.

Howard

VOC Member
I (and several others in NS Section) use a guy in Stoke if that's close enough.

He knows Vin tanks quite well now. The first one he did, he rejected the Mercury transfer because it had half a leg missing. When the replacement transfer arrived that was the same, and when he looked close he realised that Mercury's leg was bent. :eek:) The point is, most painters would have slapped the first one on.

vibrac

VOC Member
I (and several others in NS Section) use a guy in Stoke if that's close enough.

He knows Vin tanks quite well now. The first one he did, he rejected the Mercury transfer because it had half a leg missing. When the replacement transfer arrived that was the same, and when he looked close he realised that Mercury's leg was bent. :eek:) The point is, most painters would have slapped the first one on.
Mercury lost his leg when the big Vin kicked back and threw him in the air which is why his other hand is holding the handle bars and controls that were wrenched off in the explosion as was his Barbout suit. somehow he retained his helmet and he is landing down on the front wheel that seems to have crushed an eagle, Its amazing the things that happened in Stevenage back then:confused: