Petrol Tank Fixing

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My "D" Special is now a "C" Special !!. I have to use a new Alloy Petrol Tank, It's all I have left !.
Anybody know what I can put between the Petrol Tank and the Oil Tank, To hold the the tank, It does not have proper fittings, Just a rubber ring to hold the Tank down at the back, Like some old Racers, I think it needs to be some kind of hardish rubber, I hope not Flamable, Any Ideas ?, I live in Dorset, South UK, Cheers Bill.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
003.JPG

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Bruce, It's a twin of a Tank that Ian Alexander used on his 1150 Racer, The back is just a bit of plate for a rubber ring, The front is two flat bits of Alloy, I might chop them off !!, Or do something like David said about Greg's. Just thought , I might use Carpet tiles, But if there was a fire under there I would be in the Grit !!. Cheers Bill.

davidd

VOC Member
Well, you definitely cannot use wood...and I see you have two of them!

Ted Frend, who build many of the factory racing tanks in the 1950's insisted that they not be bolted down. I think they can be bolted down if they are designed for it, but a few tabs do not qualify as a "design." The tank will weigh a bit with the fuel in it, so it will need to be secure.

I made a light sheet metal cover for the top of the UFM. It just ran down the backbone. I attached it at the rear to the tank holes and at the front I had two tabs that went down and grabbed the junction box screw holes on either side, I believe. This was quite solid and I then welded mounting tabs for a strap front and rear. I made an aluminum strap, like many racers have, that was backed in rubber to hold the tank. Being aluminum, I made it grow wide around the fuel filler and cut a hole in it so it would go over the Monza cap. You would need to do something like that to get around the oil hole. Sorry, I don't have a better photo:

Deland 1999.JPG

I made the tank, so it was open where the oil spout was. This made it easy to get on and off. I had a hinge, or something just in front of the petrol cap. I still have the mounting bracket and strap somewhere if you want to see a photo.

David

b'knighted

VOC Member
There is a material called Dycem. It is a sticky gel material which you may have seen, years ago as a toy octopus that you could throw against a door and it would “walk” down the door as the top tentacle is pulled off the door and the body revolves around the lower tentacle. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-NEW-ORA...596401?hash=item43e65bfa71:g:EwMAAOSw7FRWW1mz

It is available as a sheet material, sometimes reinforced with a fabric as non-slip tray mats available from chandlers and stockists of disabled aids. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dycem-blu...916894?hash=item41956e6f5e:g:b9cAAOSwpDdVRHvW

I'd recommend the thicker non re-inforced pads often sold as car dash mats for sticking your phone on.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sticky-Ma...189029?hash=item1ea6d7f265:g:D50AAOSwYHxWQJr2

The thickest I can see on ebay is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dycem-Non...594571?hash=item54128eb28b:g:j94AAOSwDN1URocx

It would be important to only put it on the top of the UFM as if wrapped over the sides the tank the friction would make the tank difficult to push down and exceedingly difficult to lift off after use. Multiple layers could be used to build up the required height and they would prevent any vibration. Removal will probably require insertion of an oiled steel rule or flat paint stripper.

If its stickyness is reduced by contamination it can be washed to regain its original properties. A big O ring (hoover drive belt?) could be put over the back of the UFM or a smaller one held by P clips over the original hold down bolts.

vibrac

VOC Member
I am afraid I just use tie wraps for my alloy tank cut them off if I want to take it off use new ones again when I reseat it

takolder.jpg

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
My "D" Special is now a "C" Special !!. I have to use a new Alloy Petrol Tank, It's all I have left !.
Anybody know what I can put between the Petrol Tank and the Oil Tank, To hold the the tank, It does not have proper fittings, Just a rubber ring to hold the Tank down at the back, Like some old Racers, I think it needs to be some kind of hardish rubber, I hope not Flamable, Any Ideas ?, I live in Dorset, South UK, Cheers Bill.
Bill, Why did you decide to revert to standard 'C', just curious, no other reason for asking

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Peter, In my Youth !!, I got a bit mixed up with my Frames and Engines, All to make my bike Faster and go round corners better. I did not mean to do it, It just happened. I already had Norton forks with Disc brake on my Blue "C", I bought a "D" top tube for £7, So I could put a "D" rear spring on the back plus a Norton disc brake on the back. But now is the time to get my House in order !!. After Simon helped me get an age related Number for my Comet, The frame was my Lightning rep, From Africa, No reg' !!. I thought if my Special goes in it's proper frame, It has left me with a "D" frame for another Comet 560cc with a set of Girdraulics, Almost Standard !!. Still Dreaming after all these years !!. I have been told the rest of the "D" is in USA ! We have no record of reg', So if it ever get's done ?? , I will try to get another age related Number. I can't believe that DVLA gave me a number in 20 days from first form filling !!. I have been putting it off for years. Cheers Bill.