Peter and Grahams Arctic Trip

Shadowman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Vincenteers may be interested in following our trip online. As I write we are in Clopenburg in Germany on our way to Northern Sweden calling in at the Scandinavian Vincent gethering in Norway and having been through the Channel tunnel from UK then through France and Belgium and Holland. Fron here to Denmark then accross the bridge to Sweden then Norway, Sweden, Finland, Maybe Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland. Not sure after that returning to UK in about three weeks. You can follow our exploits by clicking on the link below. Keep your fingers crossed for me as the furthest I had been before setting off is 150 miles in a day.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arctic_circle_bike_trip/

Alway glad to hear from people via the site as it will lift our spirits on the bad days. So far it is GREAT :)
We will update the site when we can and expect several day without contact while we are in the mare remote parts .
With fingers crossed
Peter Sprot

Last edited:

Shadowman

VOC Member
Made Repairs and continued

I was on the fast No1 motorway in Germany and just turning off it when several loud bangs followed by silence. The Auto Advence Retard had shed 8 teeth. I had a spare which was not good but good enough. I used the springs off the broken one. Unfortunately in the intence heat of the day and the fact I was on the curling motorway slip road made me do two stupid things. The first was to re-time the bike on the wrong side of the cam. The other was to break a carbon brush to the HT lead. This I fixed by grinding down a spare which was intended for the inside of the points. The other problem I did not realise even when I rode the bike (that was a ****** to start as you would expect) I went less than a mile and knew something was very wrong but still didn't know what, it was enough to get me off the road and into a safe area which just happened to have a hotel.
Then I phoned John Hood in UK who looked up German members. So I would like to thank John in UK and Terry in Germany and a special thanks to Andreas who came to the hotel with his timing gear and loaned me another ATD incase my spare also fails. It is great to be in a club with people like this involved.
We are now in near Copenhagen and will cross into Sweden in the morning.

nkt267

VOC Member
I have just recieved a message from Peter he has now reached the Arctic Circle.Yippee..Well done his Rapide and aching B*M..

Shadowman

VOC Member
Bad weather at the Arctic Circle

The weather for the last two days has been awful. We reached the Arctic Cicle at about quarter past seven last night. Wet and tired. We found the only hotel in the area which was rather expensive charging equivalent to 7 Euros for a can of beer and 30 for a plate of Raindeer stew.
Today was even wetter. We rode through 2 thunder storms and it didn't stop raining for our 200klm ride. Tomorrow we are having a day off staying with a friend at his summer home. Then on to Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, etc etc.
Thanks for all the veiws to our site.
Regards
Peter Sprot

PS. I was told there is a member in Estonia. Does any one have his contact details?

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Peter, I'm sure all of us in the Suffolk Section are proud of your achievements so far. We hope good fortune attends you for the remainder of the journey.

G

Graham Smith

Good luck to Peter and Graham.

I quite like the sound of reindeer stew, although I'm not sure what my kids would make of it!

The photos on your site look great, although I wish you had contacted me before you set off, as we could have set you up a special part of this website to report your progress and post your photos.

Oh well - perhaps next time?!

Shadowman

VOC Member
Hi Graham,
We are not yet half way through our trip. I don't have the technical knowledge or the time to make a web site but if you know a clever way to link our Flick site you are welcome to do so and we can provide the password to our site. Tomorrow should be interesting as I'm servicing the Vincent then going for a ride in my friends float plane.
Regards from the land of the never setting sun.
Peter Sprot

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Well done Peter....

Hi Peter,

Really enjoying reading about your trip, I do hope you'll be writing a full accoount for MPH when you are back - it will make great reading. I love the pictures you are posting too - so engaging, the detail of looking around the tyre shop is great and the idea that you can meet a guy outside a Hotel and get a tyre for a 50 plus year old bike fitted pretty locally is just wonderful.

Keep up the posting - really engaging and makes me think about wanderlust too....

Ride safe.

Stuart

Hi Graham,
We are not yet half way through our trip. I don't have the technical knowledge or the time to make a web site but if you know a clever way to link our Flick site you are welcome to do so and we can provide the password to our site. Tomorrow should be interesting as I'm servicing the Vincent then going for a ride in my friends float plane.
Regards from the land of the never setting sun.
Peter Sprot