ET: Engine (Twin) Persistent oil leak

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
All good stuff, but Russ, if you have newly painted Shadow heads, check that they are still torqued-down to 32 ft-lbs before removing them. A friend had the same compression-leak problem after a few miles of use and when he came to remove the cylinder-head-brackets the head-nuts below were loose! The thick new paint had "given-way"!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Yes I can confirm that point, I just recently stripped a Shadow engine that had been running ok, but the cylinder head nuts were literally finger tight. That is why I always re-torque the heads after the engine has been hot and carry out the next day when it is cold.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Do you loosen the nuts on top of the bracket and then use a crow's foot wrench on the head nuts or strip the bike down more than that?

greg brillus

VOC Member
Not even that far, I back off the cylinder head bracket nuts. Then back off each one at a time and pull down in one go using a 13/16" ring and open end spanner. I use to use a spring scale, and given the spanner is around 9 to 10 inches long I pull down to 40 pounds on the scale. I don't even use the spring scale anymore, as i have a good feel for when it is tight........Using just one stock paper gasket under the barrels the nuts usually pull down less than one clock deviation, that is from 12:00 to 1;00 I tend to mark the nut and the head with a texter pen so I can see how much it moved. It is rare that they don't move.......Generally if stainless nuts on studs are used the nuts can grab a bit, so I use anti-seize or even grease on the threads before the nuts go on.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I've seen a chart on dry vs. lubed torques. I wonder about the practical effect on the low torque we need to use. But, you don't want galling.

litnman

VOC Member
Robert, what is the swing on that lathe! Huge. What is the sledge hammer for??

Robert Watson

VOC Member
The lathe swing is 18in dia in the gap which is partly home made, about 16in without, and a 48" bed. It was built about 1939 and spent its working life in a motor rewind shop starting at a Westinghouse facility near to a new mill in Nanaimo that was one for the first to not use line shafts but all individual motors drives on the equipment. I was wondering who would be the first to ask about the sledge hammer!

998cc

Active Forum User
VOC Member
All good stuff, but Russ, if you have newly painted Shadow heads, check that they are still torqued-down to 32 ft-lbs before removing them. A friend had the same compression-leak problem after a few miles of use and when he came to remove the cylinder-head-brackets the head-nuts below were loose! The thick new paint had "given-way"!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
Good point Peter. I'll check them before pulling them.

Otherwise, the muffs and liners are new in this build. They seemed to lap in well, so the leak is perplexing. :confused:

Regards,
Russ
Northern California

vibrac

VOC Member
I always go to about 28- 30 ft lbs and leave it overnight then goto 32 next day always clean paint from the under washer area and use the ended spring balance check after a first shake down with loosened bracket
This cylinder nut subject is the only time I use a torque wrench on a vincent