ET: Engine (Twin) Persistent oil leak

Chris Launders

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a terrible dilemma, my black painted Rapide leaks just about everywhere and I haven't really wanted to dismantle it as it's running ok. Now I have plenty of no-riding time I'm still reluctant to do anything as it will need totally stripping, the old flaking paint stripping off, blasting and repainting which I won't be able to get done and if I need to take stuff anywhere for work I can't do that either so I would end up with a pile parts just when I will be able to ride it again.

Albervin

VOC Member
Repainting is an option. The paint is window dressing. Over here we are more concerned with oil tightness and tune. Bite the bullet and seal it. It can be done in a week. I was horrified at the leaks at the last International. Beautiful paint and alloy and a couple of cups of oil on the ground. Sort of says a lot about the owners really.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Repainting is an option. The paint is window dressing. Over here we are more concerned with oil tightness and tune. Bite the bullet and seal it. It can be done in a week. I was horrified at the leaks at the last International. Beautiful paint and alloy and a couple of cups of oil on the ground. Sort of says a lot about the owners really.
I think you may have offended quite a few people who actually ride the Vincent machines. :oops:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I was talking to a Bloke on the Coast
I said I had better go before it Pees All Oil
All over the tarmac.He said I dont think so.
He would be wrong.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Striping and re-painting a Vincent engine is definitely not for the faint hearted........Best off to fix all the external leaks and leave the heavy duty ones alone. The absolute best way to find leaks is to thoroughly clean down the area, and I mean really clean.......then take the bike for a short ride, do not go for a 20 mile blast down the nearest highway, just a mile or so at most. Then return to base quickly shut the engine down and get onto your old and worn out knees with a good torch and find that leak. They will show quite easily, but not on some grubby oil soaked engine ........ ;)

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I'm not afraid of stripping and rebuilding my engine, just the time and potential cost and the amount of space I would need to free up to do it, I've no idea when it was last apart, certainly not by the previous owner so it has done at least 25,000 miles without any work other than an engine sprocket and ESA springs and as it starts first kick and is utterly reliable with just a leaky engine I'm reluctant to do it.
Greg you must have fabulous eyesight, you can obviously see my engine from 1/2 way round the world.

Albervin

VOC Member
I think you may have offended quite a few people who actually ride the Vincent machines. :oops:
Really? I ride mine and so do many I know. Two of the big mile riders here rack up over 5,000 miles a year easily. No leaks. I tend to do two or three longish rides a year, 1,000-1,500 miles. No leaks. Well, I do have a chronic problem with carbs. One day fine and next day not. I am pretty sure it is a sticky float needle but being intermittent it is difficult to prove. Original type 276. I never saw leaks under Ernie or Gill's bikes either.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I wonder if this will cure it, A BIG old pipe out the chain case ?,
There was one on a Proper L/ning , As well as Mine, Years ago.

Attachments

• IMG_20200424_164214 (2).jpg
    IMG_20200424_164214 (2).jpg
    638.6 KB · Views: 28

Albervin

VOC Member
There is no doubt that breathing is a big key. A lot of people now are cutting a larger slot into the timed breather. However it will not cure poor sealing. Older type sealants go off, lose flexibility and break. That is what happened to my Rapide. The joint between the engine and the gearbox broke and allowed oil to transfer between engine and gearbox. No leaks on the ground but gearbox oil was black and level was low. The only option was to pull the lump down and re-seal.