Perfidious Albion

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
When dealing with an imperial vehicle I would prefer the length of king Henry 1sts arm than the 1790 guess of the distance from the equator to the north pole:D. In the workshop apart from turning (because my bargain Harrison was metric dialed) I only know what a fit with a thous clearence feels like but my digital calculator keeps me sane on BMWs and the like. In distance I can easily read a Km signpost and get miles (divide by 2 take the most significant digit and add it on eg 10km/2=5+1=6 miles) which helps when touring Europe or watching documentaries by Milenials- but I dont watch many of them because they expect their audiences to have the attention span of a fruit fly and repeat everything you have just watched after each commercial break

oexing

VOC Member
"Silver" steel is just a primitive through hardening steel with high carbon like 1.2210 , 115CrV3. Silver because in some countries you get them in close tolerance sizes ground to silver optics so for some uses quite handy. For clutch push rods any steel you can harden with a torch to min. 55 HRC will do.

Vic

timetraveller

VOC Member
Well we all have our own way of converting km to miles or vice versa. I do it by dividing the km by 8 and then multiplying by 5. e.g. 80 km = 50 miles. Keeps my two remaining neurones working on long drives through mainland Europe.:rolleyes:

Mike 40M

VOC Member
What is the European (ISO?) designation for silver steel?
EN 1.2210 in Europe. DIN 115 CRV3,1.2210 in Germany. SS2240 in Sweden. BS4659 BO1 in UK.
Hopefully correct as found on internet.
I buy it as Uddeholm Arne.
In Norton gearboxes standard is 6mm pushrod in 6.35mm (1/4") shaft.
In most boxes I have seen, pushrod in two, seldom three parts, with a 6mm bearing ball or roller between the parts. In my Manx I bought two rods for Jawa iceracing machines, got right length with a ball between.
Saved me the trouble of hardening and temper the ends.

Phil Davies

Non-VOC Member
Starting with first on the right, then bottom to top: 29/19, 24/24. 22/26, 20/28 which means this is a No. 5 box. This would be the usual Grey Flash ratio for the non-KS magnesium box. The aluminum No. 16 box was provided for KS Flashes.
Hello David,
Sorry to contradict you, but, gearboxes with a No5 cluster were not always magnesium gear cased, some were aluminium - I have the remains of (genuine, known history) one here, along with the original No5 cluster that it was built with.
I also have another aluminium gearcase No 5 cluster gearbox here (the stampings on the gearbox are HR5......).

davidd

VOC Member
Phil

I think you have caught me! I do agree. I was under the impression that Vincent ordered mostly the magnesium boxes, but you are right about the aluminum and I know because I have one amongst the extra gearbox parts. Also, I don't think the No. 16 box came in magnesium, but I may be wrong because all those parts can be mixed and matched. I understood that the box with a KS would warrant the aluminum cases.

Thanks,

David

vibrac

VOC Member
Since it looks like I shall have to go inside I will have to see if I can fit a 50,s royal oilfield front cover ( or modify one) to take a kick start I looked at bananamans trials comet box yesterday and that has a kicksatrt on its mag box.
Incidentally if anyone has a photo of the Lawton and Wilson trials Vincent ( the one with the chain drive cam and tubular frame) particularly of the RH side we would love a copy all we have I'd the grainy photo of LH side that was on MPH cover years ago.
It would help bananamans restoration a lot.

vibrac

VOC Member
searching for a photo of the Trials Comet on the web I found a note from timetraveler on this forum from way back about Pat Wilson talking about the trials Comet
NOTE MAG CHAIN IS SMALLER SIZE.
GEAR BOX IS MAGNESIUM BUT INNER COVER WITH KICK START IS ALUMINIUM AS REQUIRED ON A TRIALS MACHINE ! PAT SAID IT SOUNDED LIKE A VELO WITH NO TIMING GEAR CLATTER