Penetrating Oil

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Good article on inexpensive penetrating oil.
David, that article comes up fairly frequently, but its methods leave me unconvinced of its conclusions. Aside from that, what is needed in a penetrating oil for steel fasteners is the lowest possible viscosity and surface tension, plus a chemical additive to react with the iron oxide. It seems unlikely that power steering fluid contains any such additive. For what (little) it's worth the penetrating oil I've used for more than 20 years is SiliKroil -- "The oil that creeps plus Silicone!"

davidd

VOC Member
What is acetone, And where do you buy it, Cheers Bill.

Bill,

Acetone is a solvent that is used quite a bit in the glass fiber industry due to its thinning of resins for clean up work. I buy it at the hardware store. Any home building supply that sells paint and paint thinners should have it. Like all solvents use it carefully with protection. It is absorbed quickly through skin and the vapors are bad for you. It was also the reason the state of Israel was created and supported by the British.

David

davidd

VOC Member
David, that article comes up fairly frequently, but its methods leave me unconvinced of its conclusions. Aside from that, what is needed in a penetrating oil for steel fasteners is the lowest possible viscosity and surface tension, plus a chemical additive to react with the iron oxide. It seems unlikely that power steering fluid contains any such additive. For what (little) it's worth the penetrating oil I've used for more than 20 years is SiliKroil -- "The oil that creeps plus Silicone!"
Magnetoman,

I use Kroil and not very often. I had not heard of SilKroil. Sounds good.

David

timetraveller

VOC Member
Bill if you want acetone then go to any fibreglass workshop with a well sealed container which will not dissolve when containing acetone. Glass jar or metal container are OK but make sure that whatever seal is used is also acetone proof. It evaporates very quickly. If it is a small jam jar then they should charge you a pound or two. If much more than that move on to another GRP person. It is cheap when bought in bulk but when bought to take nail lacquer off is badly over priced. In some countries e.g. Spain it is available over the counter in hardware shops in one litre plastic bottles.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I don't want to appear to be an agent for Amazon but I got mine from the link below. It was £8.49 delivered. I wanted it for some fairing plastic work I was doing. If you just want to make up some penetrating oil 1 litre will last you a long time. (As long as you keep the cap screwed well on.) I may be getting lazy but it is an increasingly easy option to buy from the internet rather than have to trawl around the area trying to find a supplier who will grudgingly supply what you are looking for.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003WZB55O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Deisel fuel, coca cola and white vinegar will get you out of trouble. Vinegar also makes a good cleaner for your windsheild. Roy.