Pazon spark

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a Pazon ignition setup (Smartfire, new coil, N9YC plugs). The bike starts first or second kick and runs well, but when I check the spark at the plugs it's the feeblest looking spark I've ever seen. Has anyone else found this? Am I just not kicking fast enough?

H

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Dear Howard,
With systems that work from a battery the speed that you kick should not alter the intensity of the spark. In electronic based ignitions like the Boyer, etc the magnet passes the small trigger coil and the energy produced by that triggers the circuitry that dumps voltage stored in a capacitor through the ignition coil primary circuit. As long as the cranking speed is enough to generate sufficient voltage in the trigger circuit full voltage is dumped through the ignition coil. The spark in these type of systems is a very high voltage that produces a thin "spark" rather than the "fat" spark all the old books talk about. If the bike starts and runs well don't worry about a thin spark, go for another ride before the weather changes it's mind.:)

I have a Pazon ignition setup (Smartfire, new coil, N9YC plugs). The bike starts first or second kick and runs well, but when I check the spark at the plugs it's the feeblest looking spark I've ever seen. Has anyone else found this? Am I just not kicking fast enough?

H

vibrac

VOC Member
I find it hard to even see my BT-H spark - but it burns a hole through a sheet of paper

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks Eddy.

The thin spark would explain things, the old points system gave a "better" spark. It won't stop me riding, I just expected to see a bolt of lightning.

H

timetraveller

VOC Member
In order to put your mind at rest buy or borrow one of the Gunson tunable spark gaps which were referred to on the 'pink spark' thread started by Dick Sherwin a few weeks ago. I like to see a spark which will jump the widest gap that the Gunson gadget can produce.

davidd

VOC Member
I know that these electronic sparks are "high frequency" and they look exactly like the high frequency spark on a TIG welder when you forget to hook up the ground clamp. They seem to be skinny. Like Tim, I have often had to eliminate all the light sources to view the spark. I assume that they work better under pressure or there would be little reason to use them. There is some mention of this in the FAQ section of the BT-H site.

I look at those who are using the BT-H systems in competition and they seem to have very good success.

David