Pazon Smart Fire

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Tracey,

Go points / coil ignition. That is what I use except mine is a home made unit. Uses a pair of Ford points which are identical but mirror image. Each points on a seperate slotted carrier so the timing of each cylinder can be set seperate and two condensors and coils so each cylinder is totally seperate apart from the battery and ignition switch. Timing advance is done by an original magneto ATD in the timing cover. Only problem I have had is the occasional condensor failing approx once every 5 years. Spare condensors are easy to carry and take 5 minutes to replace. In fact on mine the condensors are now mounted under the mag cowel on a bracket with a spare also mounted so it is just swap the connector over if needed. I also use two small Triumph / Norton coils (or could use a twin output coil) so you can also get rid of the distributor cap and rotor.

I tried the modern electronic method and it failed at a rally. That was the only time I have had to be relayed home due to ignition. Never again. Reliability and the ability to fix on the roadside if required is everything in my opinion. If an electronic system fails then you are stuck and if you follow the forum then you will see that a lot of people are having failures on electronic ignition across a lot of the different systems. Alright points / mechanical timing are crude, but they work, and lets admit the engines are an old slow reving design that don't really need the technical timing advantages a modern engine needs to pass the modern emmissions / legistation.

Hat on awating the flack.
Simon

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Just as I was reading the 'D' distributor thread (In 'general' rather than 'technical') and re-reading the strange timings on the surefire thread the postman arrived with my new PAZON sure fire to replace my Boyer. It says its for a Triumph or BSA single which seems the ticket for the comet.
The fun I expect will be in getting the correct timing figure my compression is under 7:1 so I shall start around 39-38 (the comet racer is about 11:1 and is about 28 I always fine tune the racer on the rolling road so have not accurately measured it)

Black Flash

VOC Member
is there anybody who can make a comment on how long the smartfire blackboxes last?

From others threads I see, that there are the following systems used:

Boyer system
Kirby Rowbotham ( which in most cases is a Boyer)
Pazon Surefire
Pazon smartfire.

The Boyer system is around for umpteen years now, whereas the Pazon is still quite new on the scene. so taking this into account, are there any experieneces
about which is the most reliable system of the lot.

Opinions please!

Bernd

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Hello Bernd, What about Rita, Thats what I have on one of my twins, Came from VOC spares, Had small coil trouble, But they sold me a 12v double coil, Been on for some time now. Cheers Bill.

Peter Stokes

VOC Member
PAZON

Has any one had a Pazon ignition actually fail?

I put a 'Smartfire' ignition on my old 750 Ducati in June 2007. The bike had been pretty reliable for its first, say, 25 years but in the few years up to fitting the Pazon I had been fiddling with the points and condensers quite a lot. Sometimes the fiddling was with the carburetters thinking they were at fault, which it seems they were not.

The Pazon kit has been very good, it works very well.

I have no idea if these electronic boxes fail because of -

Age of the unit.
Number of hours in use.
A fault in the manufacture of an individual component or a fault in the assembly of the unit.
An individual component life expired.
Faulty fitting.
Any other possibilities?

There is comfort in knowing that a machine has proved itself to be reliable, and that you can fix anything that can reasonably be expected to pack up, but it may be worth taking a risk to improve things.

All the best - Pete

vibrac

VOC Member
I see on my pazon box its warrented for 7 1/2 years
(no not fitted it yet)_
that period covers 2 u/s boyers

vibrac

VOC Member
I know this is called smart fire but its started so ill continue
I have about 50 jobs on at the moment so slowly replacing my boyer with a sure fire on forum will be relaxing
one piece at a time (I miss you Jonny Cash) here is part 1
First bit is embarrassing although I built the trials Comet under 10 years ago and I replaced the boyer box under 3 years ago I had no recollection what was under the hood. anyway I whipped off her skirt and found what perhaps is an old Dolphin system 'distributor' .
Is so embarrassing I have no idea where it came from -and I fitted it!.
vining1.jpg

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Not a Dolphin unit Tim. The Dolphin unit was fitted on the outside of the Timing Cover, held on with the ATD cover screws. It incorporated two sets of Lucas points, independently adjustable to ensure correct timing of both cylinders. There was also a manual advance facility. A bearing housing was fitted in place of the magneto which also provided fitment for a Smiths angle drive for a rev. counter if required.

vibrac

VOC Member
yes Len you are right not sure what it is sombody will I expect
Its certainly sealed up well, considering the mud holes and streams we forged when it was a trials outfit
perhaps I bought it with the boyer setup, I will take cover off and see if I can get the pazon -rotor and plate to fit