Pazon Ignition

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
OK - I know people use Pazon in the UK, but who sells it? I can see lots of ads for BSA/Triumph etc but not Vin Twin. Goffy sent me to Pazon NZ, they sent me to Kirby Rowbotham, KR haven't answered the phone as yet.

I've heard of people using the Pazon Surefire, but has anyone used a Smartfire on a Vin Twin, I like the idea of reduced electrical demand.

H

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
I've got Pazon fitted....

Hi Howard,

I have Pazon fitted, the instructions don't indicate which version but it is specifically for the Vincent Twin, works great - very happy. Also got good support from NZ when I was having engine problems (not Pazon's fault). I have the instructions soft copy if you need them, 7mB.

Stuart

OK - I know people use Pazon in the UK, but who sells it? I can see lots of ads for BSA/Triumph etc but not Vin Twin. Goffy sent me to Pazon NZ, they sent me to Kirby Rowbotham, KR haven't answered the phone as yet.

I've heard of people using the Pazon Surefire, but has anyone used a Smartfire on a Vin Twin, I like the idea of reduced electrical demand.

H

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks both. I'll contact Kemps.

Thanks for the offer Stuart, but I've managed to find copies (not for Vins) on the internet so I know as much about them as I'm ever likely to understand. I think you'll have the Surefire version, I can't find any details of a Smartfire for Vin Twin. I think that's the analogue version - that's a technical term I picked up on the internet.

H

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Kirby Rowbotham (Kirby is his first name, as i failed to realise...) is doing a Pazon system for my Sunbeam S7. (He answered both my calls himself.) This will replace the points and the Lucas ATD (ATD stands for "approximate timing device") in the original dizzie. It'll cost about £240. The bike ticked over like a steam engine, ran OK when the revs came up, but in between, when it was supposed to be gradually advancing the ignition, it didn't. Made riding in traffic a trifle difficult...
The most important part to replace is the ATD. These are OK if new (my Vin now has a new Roy Price item - with a magneto - which has made a huge positive difference) but I have ATD's in the box of bits I got with the Vin, all rusted to hell, and have two Sunbeam ones, which could be dismantled by turning them upside down and shaking. Even if KTB hadn't already told me what to expect, I could have figured that Lucas mechanical ATD's don't last forever. Nor, I personally believe, can they be satisfactorily repaired. (I also have five alloy idlers, all with a tooth missing. Go figure...)
Pazon appears to have improved on Boyer Branston because while BB defaults to full advance when the voltage drops, thus wrecking electric starters, or insteps, Pazon doesn't. This apparently is a big problem with electric start Norton Commandos, on which the voltage drops quickly below the BB threshold when the starter is operated. I ought to say "allegedly", because I'm no expert. But it sounds plausible.
I believe that Francois Grosset designed his own dizzie using a Honda (and therefore functional and reliable) ATD, plus electronics, specifically for this reason. If the ATD does NOT reliably return to full retard, then on the next attempt to start the motor may backfire, wrecking the sprag clutch. Francois's starter uses a sprag clutch.

Tom
What I found was that while the Pazon site described systems for many bikes, they weren't all available as kits in UK. KR however builds "custom systems". But make sure whatever system you buy it replaces the ATD, because that's the Achilles heel of Lucas ststems.

Howard

VOC Member
Update.

Apparently most Vins have the Smartfire digital system.

Goffy suggested I buy direct, because he dosen't stock for Vins since they moved to NZ.

Vinparts (Kemps) suggest I buy direct from Pazon NZ to save me money - sounds like import bureaucracy causing them headaches.

Pazon suggested Kirby Rowbotham. I finally got through to him (my fault not his) - really nice guy, knows his stuff, he can build both Smartfire digital and Surefire analogue systems for Vins.

Only just got the Egli back on the road, and it starts (first or second kick)and runs ok on points and an ATD (would you believe) at the moment, so I'll wait for the cold weather and get back to KR then.

Thanks for all the hints and tips.

H