Pazon cut out

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Fitting a Pazon sure fire from my stock of coil ignitions to my Egli Comet its a simple enough circuit I have done a few in my time but they have all been racing total loss. However this time I want to fit a cut out either a side stand or a cut out button or both. My guess is that I put it in parallel with the ignition switch to earth.
Also an ignition light would be nice....
I just need a double check these black boxes always seem a little delicate

pazon sure fire.jpg

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Hello Tim

The first thing is that you do not want to connect anything between the ignition switch and earth as you will just cause a short circuit and blow the fuse.

As a computerist you will know that interfering with the power supply to a black box and then allowing it to come back on will lead to an unpredictable result. If your kill/sidestand switch could be momentrily actuated and then released while the engine is running it would not be a good idea for this to have cut the power to the processing part of the ignition module as it could well come back to life with a random spark in a regrettable place. I would put my kill switch in the power line to the coil but leave the power to the module un-interupted. This means that the coil will cease to spark ( as we want) but the module will still 'think' that it is running and will continue to regulate the timing and be ready to fire in the correct place on resumption of coil power. See the modified drawing below. If you want two kill switches then just place them in series.

Powering the ignition light from the coil terminal could be a good idea to save half an hours frenzied kicking before you realise that you have activated the kill switch.
pazon sure fire.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Why a Pazon Sure-Fire module, which is designed for Triumph/BSA/Norton only??

Pazon build a unit specifically for a Vincent Comet, its their Smart-Fire Model # PDVC1 (single plug) or PDVCTP1 (dual plug) and it has a kill function built into it.

Check out the Pazon web site before you go any further www.pazon.com and search for Vincent Comet.

Also suggest you search this Forum for Pazon as folks have reported mixed results with electronic ignition, especially on singles.

Here is the ignition profile for the Comet specific Smart Fire unit

upload_2016-12-15_9-43-17.png

And here is the profile for the Sure Fire unit thats NOT designed for a Comet

upload_2016-12-15_9-46-40.png

Good Luck!

And remember to lets know how it all works out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike 40M

VOC Member
After a close reading of Pete's answer, I think he maybe is right. I don't know if the inner parts of the Pazon will survive a noload condition.
I think you shall contact Pazon to check first.

Pete Appleton

VOC Hon. Editor
Staff member
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
I wasn't referring to the Pazon surviving a no-load condition, I was more worried about your engine if a confused black box wakes up with the engine rotating at 3,000 rpm. It is quite likely to make the coil fire at the wrong time whilst it sorts itself out. Allowing the box to continue to run whilst disconnecting the coil should prevent this.

Howard

VOC Member
I use a Surefire (on a Twin) with the "wrong advance curve" and it's the best mod I've ever fitted.

Mike 40M

VOC Member
It is quite probable that the output stage in the Pazon will live when the coil is disconnected. I have experienced some poorly designed output stages, an example is Toyota, where an slipping generator belt killed an ECU output, cost £1000. Therefore my suggestion to check with Pazon.
I have alse seen a couple of problems with sidestand switches, so I see your point. For a handlebar killswitch I think there is no problem with my drawing. On modern bikes the sidestand switch and a neutral switch are working together so that you can have the engine running when the bike is on the sidestand.
For me sidestand switches are an unneccesary nuicance.
After some thoughts, I think that a switch in the ground line was a poor idea. Don't do that.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have had good results with a sure fire before, in fact I took this one off the Comet Racer when I changed to a BT-H to save on the hassle of a total loss battery and changing at a meeting, After the change I did not notice any performance alteration. However if I was in the market for a dedicated Vincent system at their current prices I think I would rather buy a BT-H