Paying Your Membership by Direct Debit

Would you pay your membership fees by direct debit if the option was available?

• Yes

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters
G

Graham Smith

UK Members Only — If there was an option to pay your membership fees by direct debit, would you make use of the facility?

Comet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes, I think it would be a great way to pay. Something less to remember at that time of year isn't it!

Piston Pete

VOC Member
Sounds good ,otherwise I need to get a sterling draft .........oh the pain of trying to explain at the post office counter !!

petermb998

Non-VOC Member
Paying Membership Fees

Has any consideration been given to club fees being payed with Pay Pal?
does any body know the pros or cons with this method of payment?
Peter Bromberg

G

Graham Smith

Hi Peter.

I'm not sure if PayPal was given any consideration, but if all goes to plan, the option of Members renewing their membership on-line by credit/debit card will be available at the end of this year.

There's still a few 'issues' to overcome, but once these are sorted out, we hope to go on-line. An announcement of this facility will be made in MPH in the coming months.

The option for UK Members paying by Direct Debit (drawn on a UK bank) is something we're still looking into, so it's doubtful it'll be available for this year's renewals.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The VOC is the only club that I am a member of that does not have the option of payment by direct debit or credit card, so either would be great.

Simon.

nkt267

VOC Member
Yes Great idea.How about monthly dd (big tongue in cheek)like all my bills.Seriously this would be good for me,though does this give the club an extra cost that I personally will be happy to pay..john

Stripped

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Nice idea …. but

Sure, a direct-debit arrangement can be easily sorted, but a credit card type of electronic processing sytem...? Having been the champion in setting up this sort of process in the real business world one needs to be aware of not only the costs but also the accumulation of on-going and operational costs. Certainly, the technology is available and can be made to work; however, much care needs to be taken when considering features over benefits. Website designed for a purpose - such as this one which is basically a site for dissemination of information and not as a business transactional medium – can be a candidate for feature-creep if not controlled. I would state that a feasibility study without emotional tags is imperative. Costs such as being set up with Merchant Banking facilities generally required when extra (or more expedient/efficient/affective) sales are able to recover costs that are measurable against the existing process, set up coding costs and maintenance generally handled by a provider as providers do not allow source code access, security and administration/monitoring costs – which can be more than opening a letter and banking the cheque. You need a very high turnover of transactional cash-flow to make electronic transactions worthwhile.