Paul Ennis Panniers

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does the weight of the luggage rest on the pillion seat? What locates it side to side?

Enquiring Minds want to know!:)

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
Panniers

Yes Bruce, all the weight is taken by the seat (rather less than the average passenger).The folded steel U shaped frame fits over my saddle bags that are straped to the seat and prevents any sideways movement. It doesn't move around when on the move as Stuart M can testify - he photographed me on the M6 last year, look in Misc -series C - 2007.
Cheers
Paul.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
Hi Bruce, it doesn't shift - even at speed...

Hi Bruce,

I'll save Paul's blushes but the quality and standard (plus ingenuity) of his engineering just has to be seen to be believed - I'm sure he must have spent many hours making the bits and pieces that he has added to his bike - if you also search under the Popham Rally you'll see his mod to exit the timed breather into the exhaust and the locking Dave Hills centre stand as well as a beautifully turned and manufactured stainless steel fuel tap. It really is work to aspire to.

I drove past him when in a van on the M6 last year and then let him come past me - he was doing 70-75mph plus and the whole arrangement was rock solid. It really is very clever indeed and of course there is no "fitting" on to the bike, so once you are there you are on a twin with a pillion seat and for riding around at home there's no rack.

If he sold them I'd have one!!

Only possible downside I can think of is that the bags may be showerpoof but possibly not downpour proof.

Recommended.

Stuart

Yes Bruce, all the weight is taken by the seat (rather less than the average passenger).The folded steel U shaped frame fits over my saddle bags that are straped to the seat and prevents any sideways movement. It doesn't move around when on the move as Stuart M can testify - he photographed me on the M6 last year, look in Mi
Cheers
Paul.

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
Hi Bruce,
Perhaps I should clarify the fixing arrangement. I have two non-standard (aargh!!) loops fixed at the back of the seat and when the tent is laid across the top of the pannier 'frame', two ratchet straps pass under the seat, behind the tooltray, over the tent ,through the loops and back. When tentioned, these straps squash the whole lot into the seat and hold everything in place.
I hope this satisfies your 'enquiring mind'.
Cheers
Paul.

nkt267

VOC Member
two non-standard (aargh!!) loops fixed at the back of the seat
Stamp a PR-- number on them and no-one will turn a hair:D.It will keep the part number researchers busy for years.

Last edited:

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
I forgot to mention the most important function of the 'u' shaped frame: when camping, it provides a table for my 3L wine box. The perfect height for effortless dispensing.;) Hic!