Parting Out Vinny Long Legs

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It would appear that somebody doesn't appreciate Stuart Jenkinson's fairing and what it represents. Shame that such a significant piece of history is being altered. I suppose that once you own it you can do as you please with it.
I am of course assuming that Mr. Jenkinson no longer owns Vinny Longlegs and it is not him selling the fairing. I just hope whoever wins the auctions appreciates what he has purchased. If I were able to collect it as the auction requires I would certainly bid on it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/top-fairi...rcycle_Parts&hash=item3ccaf430fc#ht_500wt_951

Steven

b'knighted

VOC Member
Hi Steven,

If you really want buy it why not see if we have a member in the Leigh on sea, Essex, area who will collect it and package it for you?

Don't expect it to be cheap to send to Michigan.

Any volunteers?

Len Matthews

VOC Member
I believe that Stuart bought his Series D brand new. Evidently the original front end enclosures were not to his liking so he designed his own. It could be that the new owner wishes to restore the machine to as-built condition.

BlackLightning998

VOC Member
I believe that Stuart bought his Series D brand new. Evidently the original front end enclosures were not to his liking so he designed his own. It could be that the new owner wishes to restore the machine to as-built condition.

I had the pleasure of chatting to Stuart around April time this year, I recall it as then cause he rang me and I was at Stafford. He had sold the bike then. The new Owner didn't strike me as knowing much about Vincents at all bearing in mind the questions he had been ringing Stuart and asking him.....based on what I heard I wouldn't draw the conclusion that the new Owner would know what an "as built" Vincent looked like.
Still, he paid the money (no-one else did) and it's his bike so I am sure he is perfectly at liberty to do whatever he wants with it....

I thought it a shame that the Museums had declined the bike when Stuart offered it to them......as ridden it surely was a piece of motorcycling history.

I can see the 2098 headline "Original parts from the Stuart Jenkinson bike unearthed in Shed" and the text describing how the latest owner is trying to track down photos of how the bike looked in 2006 when last on a European Tour as he was aiming to restore it to that condition.

Full circle......

What did it sell for? It looked cheap for £65 when I last looked...........

Cheers

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I had the pleasure of chatting to Stuart around April time this year, I recall it as then cause he rang me and I was at Stafford. He had sold the bike then. The new Owner didn't strike me as knowing much about Vincents at all bearing in mind the questions he had been ringing Stuart and asking him.....based on what I heard I wouldn't draw the conclusion that the new Owner would know what an "as built" Vincent looked like.
Still, he paid the money (no-one else did) and it's his bike so I am sure he is perfectly at liberty to do whatever he wants with it....

I thought it a shame that the Museums had declined the bike when Stuart offered it to them......as ridden it surely was a piece of motorcycling history.

I can see the 2098 headline "Original parts from the Stuart Jenkinson bike unearthed in Shed" and the text describing how the latest owner is trying to track down photos of how the bike looked in 2006 when last on a European Tour as he was aiming to restore it to that condition.

Full circle......

What did it sell for? It looked cheap for £65 when I last looked...........

Cheers

Quite right it is his to do as he pleases. As you say it is a shame that the museums didn't accept it when offered. £155.37 is what it sold for. I had a bid in on it as a local member quite generously offered to pick it up for me and arrange shipping etc.. I thought it a bit to rich for my blood when it went over the equivalent of $200.00. Come to find out the Mrs. was prepared to let me got to $250.00 and $200.00 for shipping. You live you learn. I hope who ever got it enjoys it and appreciates it for the significant piece of history that it is. If a club member won the auction for it so much the better, let's here from them and see it on a bike again or properly displayed.

Steven

b'knighted

VOC Member
It was listed with moulds so contacting the buyer, or getting a message to him through the seller, may get you a duplicate. Failing that you could source front wings from a BMC Mini and make your own plug.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
I met Stuart at the sale. Seemed a good fellow. Personally the fairing was not to my liking-the words cosmetically challenged come to mind. So the unloading is not surprising. What was surprising, however, was that one of our american cousins thought to buy it for $200! and I thought I was a cheapskate!

clevtrev

VOC Member
I met Stuart at the sale. Seemed a good fellow. Personally the fairing was not to my liking-the words cosmetically challenged come to mind. So the unloading is not surprising. What was surprising, however, was that one of our american cousins thought to buy it for $200! and I thought I was a cheapskate!
The fairing was designed to do a specific job, not to please you, as Stuart used if for over thirty in that guise shows of its worth to him. Some might get the pun there.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member

I'm not cheap. I just know what I was willing to pay for it. It only made the equivalent of $250.67. Having said that it would appear the market for fairings, historically significant or otherwise, says this particular example was in the $250.00 range. So I wasn't far off the mark as to it's value on the open market.
p.s. How much did you bid?
Steven