part number

Bracker1

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am about to fit a steering damper to my Shadow. I have read reference to a generic Kawasaki unit being used. Does anyone know the part number to use for purchasing said damper. My local K dealer looked at a picture I had of a Rapide with a damper setup, and had no idea which damper it was. Thanks to all, Happy and Safe New year, Dan:)

bmetcalf

VOC Member
On page 289 of Forty Years On, it doesn't have the pn, but very good plans. On page 17 of Another Ten Years, the pn is given as 46117-006, plus some refinements to the above. You might try internet companies, it was for the 2 stroke threes, so back in the Stone Age, Kaw-wise.

I googled "kawasaki steering damper H1" and found this (Google is pretty useful) http://www.bikebandit.com/search-products?q=46117-006&ch=1&sc=9&br=kawasaki
https://www.z-power.co.uk/merchantmanager/product_info.php?products_id=42
http://www.twenga.co.uk/offer/20515/6478545692722781402.html
Prices vary

Last edited:

Bracker1

VOC Member
parts number

Thanks for the number. They were able to locate a damper that matches the parts number. The bike should be ready for the North American Rally in Minnesota. I am told it is a spectacular area to ride. The Motor City section lives. Thanks again, Dan

Bracker1

VOC Member
My local Kawasaki man got one for me for 330.00 USD. I should have checked E-bay, one NOS damper went for 89.00USD two days ago. I guess it is best to to some price checking, I found dampers in Pennsylvania for 277.00USD. I figure it 's best to support the local "little" man, he's been in business for 40+ years and has always been great to deal with. They let me finance my first motorcycle, a Honda TL125, when I was 14. Don't think anyone will do that this day and age. Happy New Year to all, Dan

vapide

Non-VOC Member
The 46117-006 Kawaski H1/Z1 damper was the first really effective, easily available such damper, and, being adaptable and cheap, has been sold over the years by many vendors as a "universal" damper, often without even referencing its Kawasaki origin. The current ones all seem to be made by NHK, and described as identical to the original, and it may well be that NHK was or is the OEM.

The weird thing about these dampers is the price spread! You can find them listed for anything from $50 to to $400. Ok, the $50 places all seem to be out of stock with no idea if they will be getting more, but there seems to be plenty of them in the $80-100 range. It would be interesting to know whether the $300 current one from Kawa is the same old black steel one as others are listing for $50-100.

My local Kawasaki man got one for me for 330.00 USD.

Bracker1

VOC Member
parts number

The $330 damper appears to be marked NHK. I've been had again. I am applying for federal bailout money because of my stupidity, will let everyone know how it goes. Cheers, Dan

Comet Rider

VOC Member
Alternatives

Hi Dan,
I dont know if you subscribe to JTAN, but I listed a posible alternative to the original Kawasaki damper, which is made in Japan by Daytona, and is fully re-buildable, and has rose joints instead of isolastic rubber mounts.

Available in the US from many dealers if you google 'daytona steering dapmer'

Cheers
Neil

G

Graham Smith

Hi Dan,
I dont know if you subscribe to JTAN, but I listed a posible alternative to the original Kawasaki damper, which is made in Japan by Daytona, and is fully re-buildable, and has rose joints instead of isolastic rubber mounts.

This is the beauty of using our forum v jtan. The problem with jtan is that unless you've been a subscriber for a long time, there's no way of getting hold of previous posts. Using our forum, the threads/posts will stay available AND SEARCHABLE indefinitely.