E: Engine paper or felt?

SteveT

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
About to change the oil on my newly acquired Comet and i see that both paper and felt filters are available. Whats the thinking on best to use?
Thanks
Steve

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There are an awful lot of vehicles on roads worldwide, all filtering their circulating oil with paper based filters, if felt were more efficient I guess they would all be using felt, I have used both in 56 years of ownership, I'm unable to say conclusively which filters oil the best, I am simply led by the masses.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
I have just posted a reply to this thread, but on "Comet oil filter woes" I was too lazy to type it all out again, hope it makes sense, it worked fine for me. If anyone can drag it across that would be great.

clevtrev

VOC Member
About to change the oil on my newly acquired Comet and i see that both paper and felt filters are available. Whats the thinking on best to use?
Thanks
Steve
Doesn`t matter which you use, your big end will still get full of shit.
Remember all that went through the filter to get there.

Attachments

• DSCI0174.JPG
    DSCI0174.JPG
    373.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited by a moderator:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I don't use anything, I have blown up a few Vincents,
And the rubbish is found everywhere,
I prefer to have better oil flow, Have you seen how thick and grotty an old filter gets ?,
I think anything heavy will collect in the bottom of the oil filer housing ?.
And in the bottom of the tank ?.
Cheers Bill.

J

Josh Smith

I have just posted a reply to this thread, but on "Comet oil filter woes" I was too lazy to type it all out again, hope it makes sense, it worked fine for me. If anyone can drag it across that would be great.
Here you go @Peter Holmes:

“OK, I am waiting for all engineers in the club to to start shaking and weeping. My solution to this problem was thus, get yourself 2 x hole saws, good quality ones, you want one hole saw with the internal diameter a very small amount under the diameter of the filter chamber, just a running clearance, the other hole saw with the internal diameter a shade smaller than the internal diameter of the hole in the filter, use the large hole saw to make a circular disc out of a decent piece of fairly thick plywood, good quality, say marine ply 15mm thick, now follow through the centering drill hole with the smaller hole saw, now Araldite the disc that you have made onto the small hole saw, that will ensure that when the hole saw is used to remove the excess casting from the filter housing spigot that the spigot remains concentric with the filter chamber, hold your heads in horror, but it worked for me, you could make a positive stop depth gauge by packing out the internal of the hole saw but I find that unlike twist drills, hole saws do not have a tendency to pull themselves through so not really necessary, you can do the job in very little stages until you happy with the result, clean any swarf out, job done. There you are Clever Trevor, what do you think of that!

This was my solution to the irregular internal oil filter casting on some Comet crankcases, hold your head in your hands, but it worked for me, with the benefit that it can be done in situ without any stripping down. But in the meantime I believe the internal filter diameter has been made a little larger to accommodate the casting irregularity.”

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I don't use anything, I have blown up a few Vincents,
And the rubbish is found everywhere,
I prefer to have better oil flow, Have you seen how thick and grotty an old filter gets ?,
I think anything heavy will collect in the bottom of the oil filer housing ?.
And in the bottom of the tank ?.
Cheers Bill.
I used a paper filter. Every 1,000 miles changed Oil AND the filter. Bloody cheap compared to a rebuild

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
But it won't stop a rebuild Martyn,
As you have found, You have showed us your bad engine failure .
Cheers Bill.