pannier clamp B10

Shanghai

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Very interesting.
Page ii Advertisements 'The Motor Cycle' APRIL 14TH, 1949 contains this advert.
But it is all in black ink on a uniform medium blue background, presumably in deference to the nick name for 'The Motor Cycle'.
That was the 'Blue 'Un'.
In The Motor Cycle Advert, the Shanghai version's yellowish background has gone blue and the fluffy white cloud behind the inn sign has disappeared.

I do not know which is the original version.
Maybe the yellow version is a Photoshop reworking of the 1949 Advertisement?

Perhaps David Wright's book on Vincent Adverts ( which I do not have ) may clarify this?

I am not sure which version came first.
Mine is hanging on my study wall.
It measures approx. 58cm x 47cm & certainly gives he impression that it was printed way before "photoshop"was even heard of let alone a computer.
Singapore-20140705-00138.jpg

Diogenes

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Here's a scan of page 134 from David Wright's book. No cloud and green tinted paper FWIW.View attachment 2858
View attachment 2858

Mark

Green background?
Yes, as you can see the heading "Motor Cycling" at the top of the 'David Wright' version.
Again, probably a nod towards the "Green Un" nickname for 'Motor Cycling', and consistent with the possible choice of blue background for the advert in 'The Motor Cycle'.
Maybe someone knows the date this advert was published in 'Motor Cycling'?

Shanghai wrote "It measures approx. 58cm x 47cm & certainly gives he impression that it was printed way before "photoshop"was even heard of let alone a computer."

Sorry for the misunderstanding - when I wrote "Maybe the yellow version is a Photoshop reworking of the 1949 Advertisement?"
I was using 'Photoshop' as shorthand word for any technique used in Art departments for modifying photos and pictures, before publishing.
Looking at the boundaries of the 'yellow bits' it does not look like the work of a competent Photoshop operator, but more like the results of brush work typical of the techniques used in 1940s/1950s. I did not mean to suggest a computer was used.

Jim Richardson, tongue in cheek?, wrote "Do you think that the young ladies luggage has been sent on ahead by truck?"

The answer is no, as those who recall the 1940s in UK will understand.
Clothes were rationed, and not so easy to get, even though a Black Market flourished, so the young lady's luggage would probably have been modest in volume.
But I agree that those Vincent panniers are too small for long trips abroad.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/history/clothes-rationing-in-britain-during-the-second-world-war

"Clothes rationing came into effect in Britain from 1 June 1941. It lasted, albeit in a gradually reduced format, until March 1949."