painting wheel rims

jellywrestler

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
OK folks, I've drilled my stainless rims and need to paint them.
the paln was to blast the centres to give some traction to the paint.

Any thoughts on this?

next is what experiences people have had with painting this section, and what type of paint application is the go??

nkt267

VOC Member
Hi..I went the same route and painted a set of stainless rims on my brothers bike.
I masked off the area not to be painted and keyed the unmasked area with a Scotchbrite type pad.Etch primer next to ensure a good key to the paint and then the rims were 2 packed in black.You can either paint the red lines on top of the black or remask before the black and allow for the width of the lines,not very easy to get them even this way.
The wheels were done over 5 years ago and look as good now as when they were first done.
When I got my own wheels done I left it to the builder and the quality is fine..Hope this makes sense.John

Len Matthews

VOC Member
A Bugler pin striping tool makes the red line job easy. I bought mine at a model engineering show. What do you think the salesman was using to demonstrate the product? Yes, that's right-a motorcycle wheel rim!

nkt267

VOC Member
The Bugler striper is great.I found that the spokes got in the way a bit, but I also got good results..It's most likely cheaper to buy anywhere in the world except England.John