Painted rims

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
As a non Vincent cycleparts expert (as frequently proved here) I am now looking for "half a Vincent" with one of those overweight frames and tank slapping front ends - I think that's offended most of the readers :D

Can someone tell me if a 1951 Comet should have the black and red stripes on the wheel rims. Also, should front brake hubs be drilled to take sprockets? ie are front and rear brake drums the same?

Thanks

H

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Howard you are a bad Man, I was just going out on one of those things, Now you have put me OFF !! The front drums have No holes, Cheers Bill.

Howard

VOC Member
Howard you are a bad Man, I was just going out on one of those things, Now you have put me OFF !! The front drums have No holes, Cheers Bill.

I'm just jealous. Have a nice run while I'm damaging my eyesight sitting in front of a computer!

H

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
As a non Vincent cycleparts expert (as frequently proved here) I am now looking for "half a Vincent" with one of those overweight frames and tank slapping front ends - I think that's offended most of the readers :D

Can someone tell me if a 1951 Comet should have the black and red stripes on the wheel rims. Also, should front brake hubs be drilled to take sprockets? ie are front and rear brake drums the same?

Thanks

H

A curious point. I have a bitsa Comet. It has un-ribbed rear brake drums on the front wheel, i.e. they are drilled for a sprocket on the flange. Whilst they would accept the original alloy water excluders on the brake plates the modern VOC Spares Co. stainless steel excluders bind on the periphery of the flange despite being correctly shimmed. Do the flanges differ in outside diameter for front and rear drums or are the excluders at fault or what?

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
1951 vincents had black rims as there was a cut back on chrome during the Korean war after 1949 there about all brake drums were drilled

Len Matthews

VOC Member
A curious point. I have a bitsa Comet. It has un-ribbed rear brake drums on the front wheel, i.e. they are drilled for a sprocket on the flange. Whilst they would accept the original alloy water excluders on the brake plates the modern VOC Spares Co. stainless steel excluders bind on the periphery of the flange despite being correctly shimmed. Do the flanges differ in outside diameter for front and rear drums or are the excluders at fault or what?
Blame the S/S Excluders Hugo. Can't think why there's all this discussion about Comet Brake Drums-all four should be indentical, i.e. made if cast iron and drilled for sprocket bolts.

Last edited:

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Blame the S/S Excluders Hugo. Can't think why there's all this discussion about Comet Brake Drums-all four should be indentical, i.e. made if cast iron and drilled for sprocket bolts.
Thanks Len. That's what I had always thought. However as I get older things that I was absolutely certain of at 17 I seem to be less sure of today.

Howard

VOC Member
1951 vincents had black rims as there was a cut back on chrome during the Korean war after 1949 there about all brake drums were drilled

Thanks David, I knew it was due to a wartime chrome shortage but I'd remebered it as WW2 not Korean.

If all brake drume were drilled after 1949 it would also explain the confusion above.

H

Last edited:

wmg73141

Non-VOC Member
When I bought my first Comet back in 1959 its rims had black centres with red pin stripes. The paint was well rubbed from cleaning so was almost certainly original.