Paint

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
Powder coating

The issue I’ve found with powder coating is that at sharp edges it form a meniscus and tends to pull away when melted. The edge can then become a entry point for moisture once in there corrosion will track under the coating and lift it. I always break the edge with a fine file practically on new items.

As stated before you can't use filler before hand, so powder coating will only look as good as the original surface bit like plating so either use a paint finish with filler or get files and oxide paper out and a large pot of elbow grease.

Ian S

Nicholas

New Forum User
VOC Member
Which is considered to be the best durable finish.
Stove enamel: I have found the modern stoving is brittle and chips very easily.
Powder coat: I have no experience, but have been told that moisture can get between coating and surface metal, with obvious corrosion
Two pack: So far this seems to be the best.
I have used International Perfection boat paint and metal primer to re finnish the cycle parts of my Rapide, all brush painted. has lasted over 25 years! it wold need to be sprayed for petrol tanks.

overthehill

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The paint on my bike is as good as you will get; It was put on in Stevenage in 1949 and it will certainly outlast me - I have to admit the tank was painted since then - about 1951 in Stevenage - but it is getting a bit worn around the knees, the gold lining is all but gone and the transfers are a little crazed, but I wouldn't get it painted for anything. Its part of the history of the bike - 60 years of life!