Paint for Shadow cases-which type?

1660bob

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi all, its nearly painting time and I have been busy prepping the heads/barrels/cases on my Shadow motor.Question is what type of paint?There seems to be a general agreement on 2 pack acrylic/polyurethane (whatever that is-i,m no expert here!)Does this cope with the heat etc? My painter had a trial run on a couple of small items,:blast/etch prime/ top coat. No primer used as I dont want to build up too much paint on the motor for obvious reasons, results good but the paint sank into the pores on the clutch cover and spoiled the finish in places.My painter advises primer to get round this.Maybe OK on the outer cases that are smoothly finised, but I am reluctant with the heads barrels as they are cast finish anyway(original paint prior to stripping was very thin)....Any pearls of wisdom on this one? Thanks, Bob.

Len Matthews

VOC Member
Hello Bob,International Paints produce something called High Temperature Black Gloss, apparently able to withstand up to 200c. which is fine for heads and barrels. The downside is that it is not resistant to fuel spillage-as I found out when the front carb flooded! It can be sprayed direct from the tin and gives a high gloss finish.

ogrilp400

Non-VOC Member
G'day Bob,
I would strongly recommend using an etch primer. This is what keys to the aluminium and the paint keys to it. For pit marks in the covers and on top of the primary a few coats of primer can be used as a very light fill. And yes blasting is very important too. Make doubly and triply sure that ALL the blasting medium is removed from ALL crevices.

Albervin

VOC Member
If any of the old paint was so thin & tired it may have let oil into the metal. Using solvents, degreasers & heat is the only answer. Then an etch primer followed by the 2 pack paint. Remember that originally it was all pyluminised before painting...