OVR Forum Survey

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Recently OVR conducted a blind survey (no information about the respondents was requested or captured) of its readers in respect to happenings with the 'new' CE based VOC systems.

Anyone wanting a copy of the detailed survey results please PM me.

152 folk responded as follows

1. Are you a VOC member?
  • 28 said No
  • 124 said Yes
2. Were you contacted with information on how to connect to the 'new' forum and website?
  • 78 said No
  • 23 said Yes but they could not get it to work and
  • 51 said yes and it worked for them
3. How often do you use the (existing) VOC Forum
  • 40 said daily
  • 27 said weekly - so that is in total 67 weekly
  • 33 said monthly - so that is in total 100 monthly!
  • 36 said less than monthly, while
  • 16 said Never

Armed with this information I sought advice from the VOC Computer Officer, regarding the information and connection issues identified in question 2 . Here is what I learnt from him.

When the CE based system went live on October 13, a greeting email was sent to all VOC members who had a valid email address. in the 'old' system.

Only VOC members were contacted. Any non-VOC user of the 'old' forum and its web site needs to visit www.voc.uk.com where there is restricted non-member access and also the ability to sign up to become a VOC member, with full access to all the VOC resources and tools on the VOC web site.

The VOC's October 13 email gave VOC members a temporary User Name and Password to the new VOC website.

There were four outcomes of that emailing to members.
  1. Members who received the ID and password and logged in successfully
  2. Members who received the ID and password but could not login.
  3. Members who did not receive the email.
  4. Members who have not checked their email
Clearly those in Group 1 are in no need further help.

Here is what was suggested for Group 2.
  • Fetch that original email.
  • Go to www.voc.uk.com
  • Click Member Login In the top right corner of the screen, or the Login button on a cell phone or tablet.
  • Enter the supplied User Name from the email,
  • Click Forgot My User Name| Password
  • The system will send you a new User Name and password email.
  • Wait at least 10 minutes then check your email.
  • If you do not receive an email, try again or wait a bit longer.
  • If still no luck, email the VOC Computer Officer computer998@voc.uk.com .
For those in Group 3, please stand by. Early next week, the VOC will instruct ClubExpress to send a second greeting letter to all those who have still not logged in. That new email will have another temporary User Name and Password.

After this, the VOC will review and act accordingly. Clearly, there is not a whole lot anyone can do for those who have not or do not check their email.

But there are other reasons for people not getting logging in. For example, there is a list of several members who have invalid or dead email addresses. There will be an effort by the VOC to telephone or message those members to get their current email addresses. There will also be messages in MPH.

As always, every VOC member will receive a paper membership renewal form for those who prefer that method of renewing.

Nominated and Family member contact detail have not been captured by the VOC in the past. If you do have any nominated or family members you should now be able to update your membership profile in CE to include their contact details, but only if you wish to.

The full unredacted survey results have been provided to the VOC executive for their information

Regards,

Martyn

Last edited:

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I have just replied,
I was in group 3 !,
And yet I have been sent this latest email, Strange !.

I have been using an old Email for the Spares Company, Maybe that was the problem ?,
I never order on line, Just phone , So I didn't bother to change.

Still don't know what I am logging in for ?,
I do my Membership by Cheque, Phil says people have renewed membership ?.
Is the Old Forum stopping ?, Hope NOT !.
Confused of Ruislip.
Cheers Bill.

G

Graham Smith

@Bill Thomas

I can confirm that you will still get your 'normal' Renewal Form in the post with your November edition of MPH.

Hopefully for the foreseeable future you'll still be able to renew with a good old fashioned cheque which you can post to our Membership Secretaries, Ron (and Linda!).

As Ron and Linda will be able to confirm, well over 500 people still prefer to rejoin the Club by returning their form in the post with the appropriate payment.

vibrac

VOC Member
I have just replied,
I was in group 3 !,
And yet I have been sent this latest email, Strange !.

I have been using an old Email for the Spares Company, Maybe that was the problem ?,
I never order on line, Just phone , So I didn't bother to change.

Still don't know what I am logging in for ?,
I do my Membership by Cheque, Phil says people have renewed membership ?.
Is the Old Forum stopping ?, Hope NOT !.
Confused of Ruislip.
Cheers Bill.
Bill
Like many others you are confused o_O between the spares company and the club. The Spares Company web site and its web Shop is nothing to do with the systems that run the forum, the Club systems or the new CE system. The e-mail address held on the Spares Company is not passd on to any other party.
It seems its also worth repeating what I said a week or so ago:

The Spares Company is a completely separate organization and has its own web site and web shop unaffected by any changes in the club IT systems. By coincidence its web shop software supplier is no longer supporting the UK based companies and so the Company has to change its software platform soon . A full notice about this change and its status can be found on the company web site www.vincentspares.co.uk

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes I know that Tim, Just trying to work out why I didn't get the first email from Phil,
I now guess that old email is still on VOC list ?, There has been no reason to change it.

I loose track of pass words and stuff, I am trying to not use bank cards,
But have to !, To be able to get cash out, The Bastards have got us over a barrel,
And now we have to use a card to get OUT of a car park !!,
The wife snatched the card out of my hand at the Hospital !!,
And tried to swipe the card over the bit with numbers and letters !!,
It was Funny :) , She's Thicker than me !.

As you know, I am Rubbish with this Computer stuff.

The Fraud with Bank Cards was on the telly the other day, = HUGE amount !!,
Can't see why we are told to use them ?.

Last edited:

vibrac

VOC Member
I know Bill my bank expects me to walk up the road in the pouring rain and conduct my banking buisness on a mobile or buy a latest mobile
I have a high security PC and a land line cemented into my house.... stuff them.
It was fun when they came to fit a smart meter "Oh we dont have a signal!" Oh what a pity so they cant shut my supply off remotely when the electric cars overload the grid.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I know what you mean Tim. I had a similar experience a few years ago. I was informed that someone would call in to fit a smart meter. I read that they rely on the mobile phone signal. When he arrived I warned him that there was little or no mobile signal and that if the girl friend want to use her mobile phone when visiting she had to walk half way down the drive. The gent then went into my cottage and found the meter and put a gadget on top of it to measure the signal. A look of total consternation crossed his face and he said "there is no signal". Two days later I got a message from the company to ask if I was happy with the installation of my new smart meter! I wonder if the same people have been sorting out the new web site?

vibrac

VOC Member
All these urban based companies cant wait to get rid of staff and get customers to do the dirty work on their own phones. Here is a good example: the Obudsman says 2 factor authentication for on line banking so they assume that the first line is your own mobile phone security (they actually have no idea if you have any) then they have to only keep one authentication working while for people on a PC in the security of their own home they have to provide both.The penny pinching gits should wait until the mobile system works for all.

Damien McGouran

Active Forum User
VOC Member
There were four outcomes of that emailing to members.
  1. Members who received the ID and password and logged in successfully
  2. Members who received the ID and password but could not login.
  3. Members who did not receive the email.
  4. Members who have not checked their email
Hi folks,
Regarding the outcomes from the members and accepting that a positive 'spin' has been applied, I would like to offer that there may well have been a 5th outcome.

Please consider :-
Members did receive the original email but (for one reason or another) choose not to log into the new system.

I am not suggesting a negative 'spin' rather a more accurate one, as I am very happy with what's on offer on this platform and like the 'easy to use' layout.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I too have not yet logged into the new site. I want to see the outcome of the AGM tomorrow before I decide whether this club is worth belonging to. That is after using Vincents for 64 years. Those of you who have been keeping up with this will have noted that about two weeks ago I suggested that if Graham is made an HM at the AGM then the exec should have the decency to resign. It was after that the two members of the exec finally got in touch with Graham although whether the two things are connected I have no way of knowing. I can believe that the exec started off with the best of intentions on this matter so how they ended up making such a pig's ear of it I do not know. Any relational database (there are at least 17 free ones) would have allowed a link between membership and renewals etc. and as for ease of passing information between exec members, children now routinely pass photographs of their genitalia to each other through 'social media'. If they can do that then why has it been necessary to spend about £4k on a system which is ultimately owned by Amazon, that well known data mining entity?