Oversize drum brakes as per MPH 712?

vapide

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The latest MPH has a brief letter and some pictures from a Don Alexander about some oversize drum brakes made by a Hugh MacAlister, that double the lining area, while looking fairly original.

No mention is made as to whether these brakes are a new product which will be available for sale, or just a one (or two) -off.

Does anyone know anything more about these, or how I could contact either party?

G

Graham Smith

I understand they are available exclusively from the VOC Spares Company Ltd.

I'm sure David Meadowcroft will be delighted to supply you with one.

nkt267

VOC Member
I saw these on the VOC stand at Stafford and very impressive they looked and possibly very expensive.The braking area of the shoe is massive(8 inch? drum and ribbed) compared to the original and the design will fit nicely with the overall look of a Vincent. A comment was made(not mine) that if the centre of the brake plate was enamelled and the outer left polished then they would look more like a standard plate and water excluder.

vapide

Non-VOC Member
Just heard from the VOC spares co. and they are £975 a set. Seems a tad high, but I guess they are being made in only a few at a time.

G

Graham Smith

Not sure if that's including the Member's discount, but if it isn't, you should be entitled to ten per cent off!

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Just heard from the VOC spares co. and they are £975 a set. Seems a tad high, but I guess they are being made in only a few at a time.

try pricing up a complete standard brake set, and then doubling it to get the pair, I think you will get a surprise.
norm

deejay499

VOC Member
Hi all. I guess it was Hugh that had these on show at Liphook. I and others were very impressed with them. It was said that the centres would/could be painted leaving the outer polished like a water excluder.:D

timetraveller

VOC Member
I have a very peripheral involvement in this project and the parts are made by the same people who machine the parts I get made for astronomy and other matters. The drums, both 7" and 8", are machined from solid cast iron billet. The bake plates, both 7" and 8", are milled from solid ali billet. The 8" shoes are new castings and are designed in such a way that they can be set up as either single leading shoe or twin leading shoe if that becomes necessary. Brake linings are both glued and rivetted onto the shoes. Some of the prototype brake plates were left with a milled surface, some with a polished surface, which I thinks looks very nice but will be difficult to keep up to, and the centres can be painted black for those who want to keep the appearance something like the original.

Incidentally for those who are concerned about the amount of lining area. You can get about 60% more lining area with a standard brake if the hollows at each end of the brake shoes are filled with weld and blended into the original profile. One can then fit about one and two thirds of normal brake linings. On the ex Cecil Mills bike with this set up and original electron brake plates, rear brake arms on the front and an Enfield twin cable handle bar lever with very heavy duty outer cables I have had the rear wheel in the air in a panic stop. A lady in a large 4 x 4 out hunting for dinner with her offsping pulled across in front of me without looking. Just dont ask me to do it again in cold blood! :mad: