Overseas Visitor…

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Bruce, I should have said my US car insurance doesn't cover motorcycle rentals in the U.S. It doesn't cover car rentals, either, when overseas. I hate to disagree with you but, as far as I know, most US car insurance does not cover car rentals overseas (nor motorcycle rentals). Luckily, my AmEx card does cover car rentals.

Oh, no, someone disagreeing with me! :) I said many and was just basing that on the policy I have, so that wasn't a good choice of words.

Edit: Now that I read MC's post, maybe I did use credit card benefits. o_O

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Failing to find anyone who rented motorcycles in Doha, I rented a car a couple of years ago because I wanted to see what the rest of Qatar looked like. I was sternly warned by the rental company that if there was an accident of any kind it required a police report for the insurance to be any good, and that if no one was injured in the accident the police would not come. Even a minor scrape would force me to spend the day at some office to get a report and that I would not be allowed to get on a plane without it on record.

Luckily, they also warned me of the speed cameras on the freeway into the desert. The road was in perfect condition, there was no traffic, the speed limit was only 100kph/62mph, and a speeding ticket was ~$1000 (xN for each camera along the way).

Back to motorcycle insurance. This has become a serious problem for those of us lucky enough to travel overseas and have friends willing to loan us motorcycles. Unlike, say, ethanol in fuel or requirements to wear helmets or protective clothing, insurance is a "hidden problem" that doesn't get attention because it is invisible to all but the few that it affects. I have to say that not many people would have much sympathy for someone who has the means to fly to Europe where he has a friend who will loan him a Vincent, but he has a problem finding insurance. Insuring a borrowed Vincent overseas is definitely a First World problem.

vibrac

VOC Member
There was a way in Canada thanks to a real VOC Gent
But if I contemplated another USA road trip ( I do fancy the trans america trail - off road East to West but have little hope of a fellow rider and also nowadays I might not manage it all in one stay)
Whater on or off road I think the simple way is to buy a bike and sell it the other end would that work?

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
There was a way in Canada thanks to a real VOC Gent
But if I contemplated another USA road trip ( I do fancy the trans america trail - off road East to West but have little hope of a fellow rider and also nowadays I might not manage it all in one stay)
Whater on or off road I think the simple way is to buy a bike and sell it the other end would that work?
You would need an address to register it and for insurance. Just needs to be somewhere to receive mail, even if it is to be forwarded on. But I don't understand your worry. I believe on my policy on both modern and classic bikes/cars, as long as the operator has a valid license if I allow them the use of my vehicle it's all good. I'll double check that for you.
Steven

Magnetoman

VOC Member
I believe on my policy on both modern and classic bikes/cars, as long as the operator has a valid license if I allow them the use of my vehicle it's all good.
That's the way it is for me as well. I'm reasonably sure Australia is the same way, i.e. the insurance basically is attached to just the vehicle, not as well to the person operating it (as long is they're licensed). It's those pesky Europeans who make borrowing motorcycles difficult.

This discussion reminded me of a discussion I had on the Cannonball with a representative for Hagerty Insurance, one of the sponsors, who was along for the ride. My old bike insurance is with Condon & Skelly and he told me Hagerty covers riding in a timed event, which the Cannonball is, but C&S doesn't. That's not something you want to hear when you're 3000 miles from home with another 1000 miles to go on the ride. Anyway, the renewal notice came a few days ago and so today I called C&S. It turns out they do cover an event like the Cannonball, and they paid out for the total loss of a bike that burned up completely in the previous one.

Relevant to the current discussion, he confirmed that the norm for U.S. policies is they "follow the vehicle, not the driver." As long as one of my motorcycles meets the other requirements of the policy it is insured when ridden by anyone I loan it to in exactly the same way it is covered if I'm riding it myself. The full policy is 21 pages long and damn Graham for posting his question because now I feel I have to carefully read it.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
It turns out they do cover an event like the Cannonball, and they paid out for the total loss of a bike that burned up completely in the previous one.
My friend Kenneth Smith was the man with the Harley JD 1927.I'm not sure if Hagerty's paid out or not but Ken couldn't leave the USA because of fraud & arson and ended up taking his own life, he had a few demons, a quick temper being one he didn't control too well at times, he asked a passer by to lend him a lighter to do the raged deed, on the 6th day of the Cannonball, day one he rode 50 mile out of the 80 designated, day three I rode about a hundred out of a 250 mile day, day 4 & 5 spent on repairs, 6th day went off to the start, I was clearing up at the Motel and just started to leave when I saw Ken walking back. He told me what he did, I told him he shouldn't be telling me. By the end of the rally every one knew. Hagerty's even found the man who loaned the lighter ! (investigation) Ken was an INDIAN man through & through, the Harley nearly kill him before I arrive on the scene. Not a pleasant story, I sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magnetoman

VOC Member
There have been several fires on the Cannonball, which is why the rules strongly suggest that everyone carry an extinguisher on their bike. The fire that Condon & Skelly said they paid for was John Pfiefer on a 1916 ioe Harley-Davidson. It launched a pushrod through the bottom of the fuel tank and what poured out was ignited by something on the bike (wayward spark from the ignition, probably). It's that bike that is shown burning on the side of the road in the link posted by Marcus.