Over 70 Entitlement

Ian Scott

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just got my new photo licence back and lo and behold, still have my bike entitlement. Lost the heavier stuff though, can't see me moving house again so won't need a 7.5 tonner.

Tried to find some definitive information on what size bike I can still ride, whatever I read, doesn't say that I can ride everything that I did before. All I have to go on is the category A, which I take as OK, nothing's changed. Or am I missing something?

Alan J

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I, too have just sent of my licence as I am coming up to the big "70!" WaTCH THEM LIKE HAWKS!! I have requested them to send back my expired licence-as that is your only proof of your entitlements! "A" is correct for a full motorcycle licence-but in February the category's will change again!

Ian Scott

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Alan,

I misplaced my old photo licence but my wife reckons she knows where it is. Any likelyhood we'll be penalised due to age in 2013?

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Hi Alan,

I misplaced my old photo licence but my wife reckons she knows where it is. Any likelyhood we'll be penalised due to age in 2013?

There is a real danger of losing one’s motor bicycle licence entitlement at the age of seventy

I obtained my full motorcycle licence in 1962 followed by a full car licence in 1975. My current paper licence was issued in 1980 valid until 2015 for the then categories –

A - Any motor vehicle other than in group X, (X – motor bicycle, road roller; vehicle steered by its tracks; invalid carriage; trolley vehicle.)
D - Any motor bicycle (with or without sidecar).
E - Moped.

It would seem that owing to the relative youth of the staff at the DVLA these ancient categories are as alien to them as 43/6d or the guinea and confusion can arise between group D and group X. It is not always understood that group D overrides the motor bicycle exclusion category in group X. It seems that holding on to the motor bicycle entitlement is down to the random decision of the clerk involved. Once the original licence is surrendered all proof is lost. There is no mechanism for appeal and photocopies are not acceptable as proof.

In view of this would any members who have overcome this hurdle successfully tell us what measures they took to achieve this?

Hugo

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I know somebody who lost their Motorcycle entitlement, they were asked to produce the pass certificate, they had passed in the early 60's at a test centre in London, long since demolished.
They no longer had any intention of riding a bike, so didnt bother following it up.

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
I was pulled over about 10 years ago for a non-working brake light on a ZRX1100. On production of my docs, the Police Officer informed me that I did not have a license to ride the bike (I'd never checked a recent replacement), and this started a chain of events which took 2 years - but I eventually had the entitlement reinstated. The most worrying thing was that I dealt with the DVLA's 'Lost Entitlement' department - says it all really?
I was first told that there was no way it would be given back to me and that I would have to take a test again, but after getting a solicitor to prepare affidavits from several people including a Ducati dealer who had seen my full license for a test ride, a friend who is a Magistrate and threats by me to take things to the courts they did give in and return my bike groups.
I was advised by a very helpful lady at Swansea NEVER to send in your old license when getting another - just to say it is lost. As long as you've got it you'll be able to sort things out.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
I suppose that if you had ever picked up points for an offence committed on a motorcycle, you could prove that you had a license as it would have been checked then.

Jim Richardson

VOC Member
Slightly off topic, a friend of mine has a steam roller, he had to take a separate test to allow him to drive that, but he was able to drive a traction engine on his ordinary car license, apparently rollers come under the class of road making machinery.