outdoor png pong

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Apparently the 1948 Olympics was in London also. Were the postwar austerity measures still in place then? Enough goods must have been sold overseas to have the tax funds to build facilities, etc.

Hi Bruce
Last time I entered into historical details here, I was rollicked because it was not a Vincent topic ................ anyway.......... That was the year I was born (1948), so I'm no expert, but apparently London only got the games because Versuvius (?) errupted and Rome had to cancel, so it was all very chaotic and last minute. We've had tv programmes about it, and athletes had to get to the venues by public transport and take packed lunches, and since I remember some forms of rationing (sweets mainly) there must have still been austerity measures in place still.

H

mercurycrest

VOC Member
From Wikipedea............... The event came to be known as the Austerity Games due to the economic climate and post-war rationing. No new venues were built for the games and athletes were housed in existing accommodation instead of an Olympic Village.

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
Apparently the 1948 Olympics was in London also. Were the postwar austerity measures still in place then? Enough goods must have been sold overseas to have the tax funds to build facilities, etc.

Don't forget the Blitz. Every major town and city had suffered severe bomb damage. Bomb sites were very familiar to me in my childhood. My own home had suffered extensive damage from a V1. Nationally this took a lot cash and time for rebuilding. Austerity, with a small a, continued into the early 50s. My gymnastics master at school, one Bert Weedon, had been in the 1948 Olympic gymnastics squad. He told us they had been housed in disused army barracks. He is still with us and was recently interviewed for a TV documentary on the 1948 games.

Hugo

Last edited:

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Hugo, You got me thinking there that Bert Weedon was a multi talented gymnast and musician, and also that he had replicated that amazing feat achieved by Jesus of rising from the dead, but no, after a little research on google it would appear that your tutor was George Weedon, perhaps he just preferred to called Bert!
I hope the outfit and the electric start are working well.

Best Wishes Peter

Hugo Myatt

VOC Member
You are right Pete. He preferred to be called SIR. His name was George. I think it was just we boys who referred to him as 'Bert' although he was more handy with a well aimed gym shoe than a guitar.

Hugo

vibrac

VOC Member
Of course in the 1900 olympics they had motor and motorcycle racing ......
even better they also had no opening and closing ceromonies and I bet no drugs either

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Probably right on performance enhancing drugs, but I believe that one could buy heroin and cocaine at the pharmacy then in the US. According to Wikipedia, cocaine was removed from Coke in 1903, but not much Coke was sold in Britain then, I would guess.

vibrac

VOC Member
Don't mention soft drinks Bruce I believe you are now allowed to wear a Pepsi tee shirt to the 'games' although the person who is supposed to be 'running' the circus said you would not be let in, I see the unmentionables have even protected the words "twenty twelve"
and this is the spirit of amateurism! what a joke.