Other Vincent Models

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Secondly, the engine number prefix ID on the Excelsior is RYEF, does the Model 'W' use the same or different?

Thanks a lot from a sad obsessive Villiers nut.

Looking at the factory records, approx 50% of the engines just started with RY. The rest were either RYP or RYR.

Regards
Simon

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
View attachment 14192 Does that make this an Excelsior engine?View attachment 14191

b'knighted, if you let me know your engine number I will be able to confirm if it was used in a Vincent or not. Please don't post numbers here, but you can send it via a private message, or if you are going to the Severn Rally next weekend, bring a note with the number on it.
Regards
Simon
VOC Machine Registrar

Sakura

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My "other" bike is the last SOS ever made, the personal property of Tommy (Mr Two Stroke) Meeten for some 25+ years. It's got a Mk X1V water cooled 342cc engine and is currently under renovation. I also know of Model W, the property of a well known member of the Vincent fraternity.

Villiers

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
More and more interesting. RY is the prefix for the standard MK 14A water cooled engine with Villiers Autolube system. RYP identifies the petroil version without the Autolube. I have a feeling the RYR engines are really RYP engines but either poorly stamped or poorly written on the record cards. Hopefully I can eventually sort this out as I know someone with one of the original Villiers factory despatch books. Getting to actually look at it has been a bit of a song and dance. Nothing intentional, just life and family getting underfoot.

I saw someone has made a nice new solid boss engine sprocket on b'knighted shot of a 'W'. Very nice but why bother. Villiers listed two screwed bosses for either a 2 1/2" or 3" chain centre line and a range of 14-24 tooth engine sprockets to suit. Villiers made bicycle parts, sprockets, coaster hubs, pedals, etc, by the gazillion so just used their bicycle machinery to cut a standard L/H bicycle rear sprocket thread on the boss and made engine sprockets as they made rear bicycle sprockets.

One last question. How many speeds in the model 'W' gear box? Is it a three or four speed box? Four speeds allow one to keep up a far better cross country pace. Little pace is lost from a drop to third. Not so on the wide ratio three speed boxes of the day.

Adam Armstrong

New Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi everyone, first post on here.

I have one of these motors. It's engine number is RYR 372. Looks exactly like the one in the Model W.

Adam