Original front sprocket starting to show signs of wear

Bazlerker

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Today I removed the original front sprocket from my machine and examined it for signs of wear. As the tips of the teeth are getting just a tad pointed, and the teeth are ever so slightly hooked - is there anyone who can turn the teeth off, flip them over and re-weld them on in order to extend the life of the component? This sprocket is original to my machine and I would rather not decrease my beasts value by fitting a replacement part.

b'knighted

VOC Member
Of course the value will decrease - you've been riding it. Anyway wouldn't it be easier to get the boss removed and welded back on the other side so that there is just a single weld to perform instead of 21.

1660bob

VOC Member
Ah, but will your sprocket be welded with geniune Vincent welding rods/ electricty from the Stevenage supply.Without this, I can see a contamination issue:D

Howard

VOC Member
That's it then Bob. Originality will be totally stuffed! You may as well go for belt drive as fit a new sprocket. I think you'd better keep the sprocket, and stop riding the bike. :)

H

Bazlerker

Non-VOC Member
I have checked to see if the welding rods are genuine Vincent, and I am relieved to tell you that they are. The item will be quenched in oil gathered from genuine Grey Flash and Black Lightning machines whose pedigree has been established by the highest authority. The person who shall do the welding breathes air originally pumped into tyres fitted to Vincents at the factory so his every thought process is pure stevenage.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Once this sprocket is welded I must have it!!!!
A million rupees and three of my best wives for your sprocket!!! In fact you may have the money and four of my wives, I will include the overly talkative one also!!!

If you attach the sprocket to a small piece of exotic hardwood and place it for sale on ebay, I will pay even more!

Last edited:

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
I'm going to buy one of those original alloy idlers on greedybay and mount it on a plinth made from a flooring stump from PEI's house. You can then take it home and make a sprocket from it.I know it is alloy, but you're not going to actually RIDE the 'bike, are you?

Howard

VOC Member
What have you guys been smokin....?
jim burgess

This is what happens when the weather's bad (apparently it's now officially the wettest drought on record). I think we've been soaking up too much Carbon Monoxide running the bikes in the garage. :)

I got 12 miles from home on Sunday and was hit with rain, sleet and hail, 5 minutes after I put the bike in the garage the sun came out, and it didn't rain again that day! :(

H

OOps - just noticed most posts here come from the "colonies" - I suppose they'll be a bit down in OZ because they're heading in to a cold 30 degrees winter while we're looking forward to our usual 18 degrees of summer!

Last edited: