The Mighty Garage Oregon Coast Ride

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Do you get retros moaning in California where its legal?
Just think of the boost to motorbikes it would give it if became legal in presently banned and jammed citys
I spend most of my time envious of the freedom of bikers in the US but in this case when you ride round the M25 and see cars moving over to give you a clear run up the jam between lane two and three I am happy to be riding here. Its great when my pillion is on board as she is in charge of waving thankyou. My cut off for filtering is around 15mph and/or 5-10mph above the flow often that flow is zero.

Last edited:

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Lots of crazy motorcyclists in Los Angeles. My choice is to only split lanes when the general flow is 40 MPH or lower, and never pace the flow exactly, but also stay within a few MPH +/- of the flow. And with the amount of freeways and traffic, my wife hears “motorcycle down” reports on the morning news every day.

ericg

VOC Member
Never experienced such behavior here in Europe.
Motorists over here are motorcyclists friendly generally speaking.
Sometimes you can feel like Moses through the Red Sea when filtering between lanes seeing cars pulling to let you through.
Where is the point of being stuck in traffic on two wheels? I can't imagine myself sitting there in he pouring rain or worse in scorching conditions.
Michigan doesn't allow it either. Not that I would do it as some of the clowns that are allowed on the road take it as a personal affront. Several years back the wife and I were on the bike and stuck in traffic on the expressway. The next exit was just a few hundred yards ahead. No one was wanting to exit there but us, so I took to the shoulder to get out of traffic. Some moron decided he needed to teach me the rules of the road and just as we were about to pass him he pulled on to the shoulder to block me then started yelling about waiting my turn to exit. When I've seen bikes start to filter through stalled traffic there is always someone ready and willing to remind them it's no no and pull into their path or open a door. If it ever became legal here some would object and continue the non-sense.
Steven

vibrac

VOC Member
The basic reason is that the USA has never used the motorcycle as a means of transport just pleasure over here two generations back it was the main transport of a lot of the working class dont forget until well into the 20th century there were many more motorcycles than cars in the UK (a point often missed in street scenes in historical dramas) that difference in use was reflected in the legislation you cant have twenty motorcycles in a queue behind one slow car but you can have the reverse with a fast motor cycle and 20 model T's in front.