ET: Engine (Twin) Order of installing sealed valve guide components?

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I called Neway and spoke to a nice lady there who helped me out greatly. I told her the sizes of the inlet and exhaust valve seats and she suggested part number CU647 was the best choice. Which it was. You can loosen the carbide inserts and adjust them so they don't contact the head itself. I also purchased cutting fluid, the "T" handle and a plastic case to keep it all in.
Steven

998cc

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have decided to order a Neway cutter. Is the 1-3/4" correct for the intake (inlet) seat, and if so, will it also cut the smaller exhaust seat? Given that my guides are reamed under .374", I will try the .373" tapered pilot first.

Thanks to all who replied to this thread! :)

Wrapping it up.

1. The Neway 1-3/4" valve seat cutter successfully cut both the intake (inlet) and exhaust seats.
2. Pilot: For the newly installed guides which were reamed with a slightly under sized .374" reamer, the Neway .373" tapered pilot was a perfectly snug fit in the guide.

Ready to reassemble.

Regards,
Russ
998cc

998cc

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I called Neway and spoke to a nice lady there who helped me out greatly. I told her the sizes of the inlet and exhaust valve seats and she suggested part number CU647 was the best choice. Which it was. You can loosen the carbide inserts and adjust them so they don't contact the head itself. I also purchased cutting fluid, the "T" handle and a plastic case to keep it all in.
Steven

Steven. I just found your post. Didn't realize there was a page 2 in this thread! Thanks for the info. I wound up ordering similar items.

CU647 Cutter
140-38-002 Pilot .373"
TW505 Nylon Fiber Tee handle

These are great tools.

Best regards,
Russ

kettlrj

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a long reamer which is about a foot long that has had the first two inches ground down to fit the top guide size. I use this to open out the new bottom vale guide, then grind in the seat. The retaining ring AND seal are then fitted. The retainer is then reamed out with the seal in situ. The seal is not damaged by the reamer as it just gets pushed out of the way.
Regards Richard.

998cc

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a long reamer which is about a foot long that has had the first two inches ground down to fit the top guide size. I use this to open out the new bottom vale guide, then grind in the seat. The retaining ring AND seal are then fitted. The retainer is then reamed out with the seal in situ. The seal is not damaged by the reamer as it just gets pushed out of the way.
Regards Richard.

Hello Richard.
My initial concern was that the seal would be damaged by the reamer, so I left the seal out and installed the retainer while the head was still hot. MartynG mentioned removing and replacing an old hardened seal without disturbing the retainer, so using that approach, I merely installed the seals in the assembled guides using two bamboo skewers. It took about five minutes to install all four seals after reaming the guides and cutting the seats. :)

Just trying to find a few hours to re-install the tank, seat and exhaust to find out if the new sealed guides resolved the issue. :)

Regards,
Russ